Average GPA. Ivy Chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Average GPA. Ivy Chances?
By Spydersport824 (Spydersport824) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Okay. I'm an Asian Indian male and a junior at a pretty prestigious Michigan public high school (every year ppl go to ivies or MIT, Duke, Stanford, etc.) I slacked off freshman and sophomore year. I got a 3.33 freshman year and a 3.5 sophomore year. I had a very tough curriculum and took all honors and AP US History in 10th grade. But, I should have gotten at least a 3.8 the past two years. Now I am working really hard and am on track for a 4.0 with an even harder course load (I want premed and I have 3 sciences this year). I will take the SAT and ACT in the Spring and assuming my SAT is a 1450-1550 and my ACT is a 32-34 (just assume guys, if I don't get those scores I won't apply, so just assume!) I will have taken AP US History, AP English 11, AP English 12, AP Chem, AP Bio, Calculus AP BC and independent study for the AP World History and AP Macro and Micro Econ tests by the time I graduate. All others are honors unless they are pre-requisites. I have pretty good EC's.
JV and Varsity Tennis-3 years by graduation
Project LEAD-2 years
SADD Club-2 years
Literary Club-1 year
Medical Club (President)-I am starting it and it should be up and running next month.
Quiz Bowl Team-my friend is starting it next month (he may let me be Vice Prez)
Troy Youth Council-since freshman year-like city council, it is a city board but it deals with youth issues.
Hospital Volunteer-Over 170 hours so far in EC
Boys & Girls Club Volunteer-60 hours
Downhill Ski Supervisor-42 hours volunteer (1 year), 3 years paid by graduation
Soccer Referee-since freshman year. Paid job.
My cumulative GPA will be a 3.63 by the time I apply (3.76 if you don't count 9th grade, ie Stanford, UMich). Do I have a shot at the Ivies and other selective schools? Will they take into account that I have matured as a student and am now on top of my studies?

By Shanbangs (Shanbangs) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

focus on something for ur ec's.

By Shanbangs (Shanbangs) on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

also, upward gpa trends are good, and if u get a high sat score to balance it out (high 1500's to 1600 in ur case), u probably have a decent chance.

By Spydersport824 (Spydersport824) on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 11:29 am: Edit

thanks for the input Shanbangs. I will be focusing mostly on the Medical Club at school as an EC and the Troy Youth City Council outside of school. Anyone else with some input. Name some schools that could be possible chances.

By Spydersport824 (Spydersport824) on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 02:43 pm: Edit

bump

By Innsayneidiot (Innsayneidiot) on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Um... an upward trend is good, but do keep in mind that Ivies get a lot of applicants who have 4.0 all four years. your chances will be better if you can really do something significant as medical club prez, though.

By Spydersport824 (Spydersport824) on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

yeah that's what I figured. thanks Innsayneidiot.lol.

By Freudboy (Freudboy) on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

write a good essay

By Spydersport824 (Spydersport824) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 11:31 am: Edit

bump

By Cruella (Cruella) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Dahling, you have a chance. The Troy school district is pretty average though. I do not think that going to school in Troy is a plus or a minus. It's no where near as good as many of the bordering districts.

Good luck!
Ta ta...

By Copper45 (Copper45) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 02:53 pm: Edit

what the hell does bump mean

By Spydersport824 (Spydersport824) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

bump is used to "bump" your post up to the top of the list where more people will be able to see it. So...bump it up!lol. and thanks for the input Cruella, but how much of a chance do you think that is. right now, i'm thinking less than 10%.

By Spydersport824 (Spydersport824) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:33 am: Edit

anyone?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page