MIT, Caltech chances for International

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: MIT, Caltech chances for International
By Zapo1j5p8l1 (Zapo1j5p8l1) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

I know international chances for these colleges are very slim, so please just rate mine "bad", "very bad" or "should've spent the $50 on Playboys"

GPA: unweighed ~3.9, weighed ~4.6
SAT I: V 780 M 800
SAT II: W 740 IIC 800 Physics 800

APs:
US history 4
Compsci AB 5
English Comp 5
Biology 5

Taking this year:
physics
calculus
chemistry
european history

College courses:
World lit, British lit, Macroeconomics, US Govt, all A's

EC's
Math/science team
Chess club
Mu Alpha Theta
French Honor Society
FBLA
Piano
Quiz League

Awards
National Merit Semifinalist
AP scholar with honor(distinction?, dont remember)
4th place in science at regional competition in junior year, went to state (aiming to win state this year)

Volunteer
ESL conversation partner
teaches chess at elementary schools
tutors people

umm...can't think of anything else at the moment...my essay is in the "College Admissions" forum under "Essay Critique and a Question"

thanks

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Your stats seem very 'American' for an international. American school abroad?
Anyway, your stats seem good enough to get in, but the ECs are weak.

So this is another case of 'I dont know'.

By Zapo1j5p8l1 (Zapo1j5p8l1) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

I went to school in America. Another question: when they say "500 word essay" do they mean they'll stop reading at word 500 or is, say, 650 words okay?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 03:45 pm: Edit

If you're a PR, I don't think you're considered international anymore.
Anyway about the essay, they're not going to bother to count the words, so it's ok if you exceed by a bit. 650 may be a bit long though, try to cut.

By Zapo1j5p8l1 (Zapo1j5p8l1) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

I'm not PR, I'm international, but I reside in and went to school in the US. Yeah, that sucks. Thanks for the info on essay length.

By Sidis (Sidis) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

you shuoud have spent the 50$ on playboys... You have no chances whatsoever... sorry

These people are very curious...

By Zapo1j5p8l1 (Zapo1j5p8l1) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Sidis-haha. Maybe it would be better if I saw a psychologist...

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

unless you are an outstanding candidate, MIT will not consider you, esp when you are international

By Myoryu (Myoryu) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

As far as I know int'l students are not eligible for national merit scholarship semifinalists or finalists (they can take PSAT, yes). How come are you a semi-finalist? Are you a permanent resident?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

yeah this post seems a little fishy. I dk there's nothing particularly outstanding about your record - it's all pretty cookie cutter (but still pretty good). Caltech will consider you but I am not sure about MIT

By Influx (Influx) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

playboy*

By Zapo1j5p8l1 (Zapo1j5p8l1) on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Myoryu - I qualified for semifinalist, but was not allowed to apply for finalist.
Vsage3 - fishy?
Influx - considering they only cost $1 per issue if you subscribe, that was 4 year's subscription I wasted
But thanks everyone for giving me honest evaluations, so maybe I won't be as disappointed when that thin envelope comes

By Iamthekid (Iamthekid) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 03:19 am: Edit

Mjl86 is right .
MIT has fixed quotas for every country
Which Country??

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 05:38 am: Edit

uhh, if one with 1580 has no chance, i guess my 1460 would be an immediate toss away?
(i have lots of math awards to make me stand out... i was hoping they would help, but guess not)

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 06:19 am: Edit

stupid quotas, a lotta international kids would own some american kids who got in just b/c of their citizenship, wake up mit, chuck your quotas! i know a family friend who got rejected from mit for undergrad with stellar everything but he was international. well he got his undergrad degree with other awards, honors, and graduated top of his class, and guess who came crawling back ..... well that massachusetts institute of technology, they wanted him for grad school, he wrote a bitter letter in response, rejected their offer and went to stanford, haha, serves them right

By Acennace (Acennace) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 06:52 am: Edit

Mitwannabe: Guess that serves them right... I just hate universities having quota, even when they say they give the early decision and regular the same priority, the truth is they give the priority to the early decision. Harvard accepts 49% of freshman from early decision (and compare the number of early decision and regular applicants!!!)

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

yeah it's major bs, they should change those policies

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

the whole thing is a scam, they are just trying to decieve us, taking our 70 bucks ....
we should sue them... let's form:
"The Federation of Collegeconfidential Members"
and sue their a$$

By Pakitexan (Pakitexan) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

btw where r u from... im applying internatinal too, from pakistan, but ive lived here for like 15 years, anyhow, this sux for us. Ima be lumped in with like IIT rejects that will probably be in for sure. Ah such is life... ishtty

By Zapo1j5p8l1 (Zapo1j5p8l1) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Pakitexan, r u in Texas too?
I'm from china, which is even worse for college apps than pakistan...
life sucks, sooner you get used to it less it hurts

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page