ANY PEE-PO GOING TO UCLA?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: ANY PEE-PO GOING TO UCLA?
By PHILLYBLUNT on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

I'm a korean male in California. Here are my stats:

SAT 1- 1340 Math: 730, VERBAL: 610
SAT 2- MATH 1C 730, WRITING 640, US HIST. 680

Only 2 honors classes per semester =(

Wrestling all 4 years, most dedicated wrestler award and 4th place in league for 10th grade.

A little more than 100 hours of community service

Who's Who award- 2
CSF- 4 semesters
Governor's scholars
Golden State -4
(THESE AWARDS DON'T REALLY MEAN MUCH I THINK)

Hey i'm poor lol, my parents are drycleaners
Dad only finished HS and mom has a little college.

I also have a little work experience at the cleaners that I included in my application.

I applied to:

UCLA
UC BERKELY
UC IRVINE
UC SAN DIEGO
USC
AND NYU

BUT I REALLLLY WANT TO GO TO UCLA AND WANT TO COMPARE TRANSCRIPTS/STATS WITH PEOPLE ALREADY GOING THERE. THANKS!

By White boy on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 03:54 am: Edit

It makes me very sad to say this, but you probably won't get in because you are Korean. Even though you come from a poor background, UCLA is very racist (in my opinion) because the admissions committee will cry there eyes out for a poor black, but not give a second thought to a poor asian, because there are so many asians at UCLA. If you were black you would get in. You still have a shot, but I wouldn't count on it because you are Korean. You have a very good shot and all of those schools except for UCLA and Berkeley.

By story on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 04:22 am: Edit

They don't care about your race. You have a good chance in all the schools. But it is all luck. let's just say you are plenty qualified to get in everywhere you applied, but if you will is a different story

By ? on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 11:43 am: Edit

the UC system abolished affirmative action, so race is not a factor in the application process, and aren't the races blocked out during the admissions process to avoid bias, etc., or at least, that's what I heard happens (with Berkeley).

By PHILLYBLUNT on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 03:48 pm: Edit

O yah, I forgot to add that my GPA is 4.18 and my major for all schools is Mathematics ( I know, I should of taken MATH 2c for SAT2s, but, well, whatever). Thanks for the responses- they are very encouraging. But again, admissions to LA is unpredictable.

By dogboy on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 04:03 pm: Edit

What the •••• are you worried about PHILLYBLUnt, if those really are your stats, why the •••• are you applying to •••••• schools.

By bumplump on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

bumpers

By Me on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

it is technically illegal to use race, yet the UC system has something called "comprehensive review." This program was designed so that admissions people could consider hardships and poverty, yet it is misused in such a way that is has basically become another affirmative action. Oh, and by the way even though they made race illegal to use, they still show your RACE on the application. And don't you think they can tell your Asian anyway if your last name is Yang or Nguyen? And don't you think they can tell you're black if your name is Jamal Jackson or Taisha Bonquifa Jackson?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page