Can a good essay help make up for a low writing score...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Can a good essay help make up for a low writing score...
By Bucephalus on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

My score on the SAT II writing test was an average 670. I should have studied for the test far more thoroughly than I did but I can't go back now. My question is will a stellar essay make up for an bland writing score, or at least ameliorate it somewhat? I really tried to make my essay stand-out and I have been told by others that it is quite good. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

By hopefully helpful on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

Not necessarily. The writing done on the SAT II writing test was obviously done by you. An essay can be heavily editted, especially by others. Hopefully your English grades (and any English AP test results, if you have them), will add to the total picture of your writing abilities.

Look at your SAT II test subscores. You may have done well on the writing component, and not as well on the multiple choice component. Your subscores will differentiate between the two, and colleges are sent the SAT II Writing subscores, too.

Your score of 670 is not terrible. However, I have read that AdComs get suspicious when English grades/SAT scores are terrible, and the essay is really well written.

By nikos on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 12:30 am: Edit

670 is not average. its not stellar but its above average so dont feel that bad. average would be like 500.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page