My stats aren't that spectacular, but.... I'm Mexican?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: My stats aren't that spectacular, but.... I'm Mexican?
By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Besides the Mexican thing, I have some pretty good activities too. Plus 20 hours+ of community service each week. I do non-profit community theatre. Here's a copy of the little profile i've been giving people for recs (with a few additions): I really appreciate your honest opinions. I've applied to UCBerkeley, UCLA, UCDavis, UCSanDiego, Wash U. in St. Louis, NYU, Yale, Harvard, Cornell, USC.

My overall gpa is a 4.1 unweighted. I got a 1330 on the SAT 1. 760 Math 2C 740 Writing 650 Spanish with Listening. My ACT composite is only a 28.

Father: CPA. Mother: Realtor, Planning Commissioner
Post edited - please do not post identifying information such as names. See Northstarmom's post below. Thanks!
Moderator Skyhawk

Clubs:
Book Club- President/founder
Activities: “Kids Day at the Beale” A day of fun for young children. To promote literacy and to foster a love of reading. Last time, based on the book “The Rainbow Fish” by Marcus Pfister. Puppet Show, storytelling, arts and crafts, games.

“Book of the Month” Examples: The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys by Chris Fuhrman, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Interact Club
Activities: Relay for Life, Daffodil Days, Halloween Party at the Boys and Girls Club

Mock Trial
Witness and Team manager. County Champions

Publications:
Webmaster
www.harrypotterland.net - a site devoted to sharing a love of reading with kids all around the world. Message Boards, games, news, etc.

Other:
Stockdale High School Drama Department: Involvement in every main stage show. Ali Hakim in “Oklahoma!” Walter Mitty in “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”

Stockdale High School Band/Drumline: Section Leader. Played every percussion instrument. Bass Drum, Snare Drum, Quints, and Pit.

Community Activities:
Bakersfield Music Theatre: up to 18 hours a week of work in a local non-profit theatre. Shows include: “42nd St.” (where I learned to tap dance), “Evita,” “Camelot,” “Big River,” and more. (Won the Forever Award for major time contribution to the theatre.)

Stars Theatre Milk and Cookies Program: interactive first-time theatre experiences for children. Shroeder in “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown”

Church Activities:
St. Philip the Apostle Church. Besides attending youth group, completed the 2- year long Confirmation Program. Classes every week, plus many community service hours.

Participated in the Clinica Sierra Vista program to distribute gifts to needy families.

Employment:
Party Time! Entertainment: Singing Telegrams, balloons, complete party hosting packages.

Webmaster for www.kernsmartgrowth.org

Designer for the Mr. Tuxedo of Bakersfield web site

Counselor for “Summer at the Improv”

Occupational Goal:
Right now, I hope to major in international relations, learn Farci (Persian/Iranian) and get a job with the Central Intelligence Agency. As a back-up plan, I will pursue a business/advertising minor. Additionally, I hope to be prelaw, so I would have the option to apply to law school. It looks like I will be in college for a long time!

Financial Need:
I don't think I qualify for any non-need based aid. sigh.

Achievements:
National Honor Society, CSF, National Merit Letter of Commendation, National Hispanic Scholar, National Hispanic Scholar Finalist. High Honors on Golden State Exam Chemistry, Spanish, English, Geometry. Honors on Biology. Passed the AP examinations in Spanish and English Language with scores of 4. (I haven't put "Who's Who" on anything, because I have a feeling it's a load of crap sham of an organization.)

By Dali17 (Dali17) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

hey brentlomas, im mexican too. youve got good stats man.

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 10:44 pm: Edit

thanks. GO MEXICANS!

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

You have decent stats to apply to good colleges .Please eval my stats under

Help Me

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Ok, I'm trying this:

"bump."

By Culovv (Culovv) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

How the hell can you have a 4.1 UW?? By the way, im a hispanic with similar stats [lower gpa, 20 points lower sat (retaking), and ~15 point higher SAT II average] and im applying to all the schools you are applying to with the exceptions of harvard, yale, usc, and nyu. If Davis is your safety, i would consider adding another safety to that list, since davis WILL be more selective this year.

By Dali17 (Dali17) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

what can anybody tell me about my chances for DUKE, EMORY, and Vanderbilt

Hispanic (Mexican-American)
SAT: 1340
Ranked 3/494
4.00 unweighted GPA
6 AP's
National Honor Society
many volunteer hours and i have been working for a few years now
French Honor society
science honor society
science club
Model UN
attended National Youth Leadership Forum on medicine
attended 6-week summer program where i did research
bausch and lomb honorary science award
Great teacher recs as well

By Starladki (Starladki) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

4.1 UW?! AND URM!!!! gosh you're insane.

OT, but are you the actual singing telegram? who goes to people's doors and wishes them a happy birthday?

By Subparasian (Subparasian) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

How do you get a 4.1 unweighted GPA? Unless there is a better grade than an A... or your school does some weird "unweighted" method... or you took classes during summer and they counted those toward your GPA...

By Subparasian (Subparasian) on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

...or you live in California.... =)

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

I live in CA, but I meant weighted.

BTW, did I mention I'm stupid? haha.

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 12:43 am: Edit

yeah, actually I live in Bakersfield, CA so there aren't a lot of singing telegram opportunities. My biggest gig is costumed characters. I was Harry Potter at a Birthday party a few weeks ago.

Oh, and I think my unweighted is like 3.8 or something. I don't think it's on my transcript.

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 02:45 am: Edit

bump. (wow, this works great.)

By Varr (Varr) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:55 am: Edit

Im MEXICAN as well wohooo, and since ill be moving to Toledo OH , Im gonna be an URM :)!!!!

By Varr (Varr) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:55 am: Edit

stats on profile

By Anonymous1223 (Anonymous1223) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:41 am: Edit

you can have a 4.1 unweighted gpa because an "A+" counts as 4.33 and a normal "A" counts as 4.0, not all schools have a+'s though

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:43 am: Edit

Original poster:
PLEASE ask the board monitor to get your name, your parents name and your h.s. and city off your original post. I also suggest that you not use your real name as your sign-on name. Please don't put such identifying info on a board. Not only adcoms, but also wierdos could be getting that info.

By Yep (Yep) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:45 pm: Edit

mucha raza mexicana!! a huevo!!

By Serdu (Serdu) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Brentlomas, I am Mexican too and I just got into Harvard, email me, we can talk.

By Varr (Varr) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

YEP where are you from?

By Dali17 (Dali17) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Me da gusto saber que la raza Mexicana va continuar hacia adelante en los estudios. Buena suerte amigos!

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Gracias Dali, pero sepa que no aprendi espanol en casa. Mi familia no queria que tenga acento espanol. Cumpli solo cuatro anos do instruccion en clase.

(Did that make sense?)

By Dali17 (Dali17) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

yes i was able to decipher it. Are your parents mexican immigrants?

By May_1 (May_1) on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

My honest opinion:

UCBerkeley, Yale, Harvard, and Cornell are VERY unlikely, merely because any advantage you are given as a URM is wholly canceled out by the fact that both parents are pretty well-educated and that apparently you've grown up in an environment that prioritizes education, and you've likely had the resources readily available to achieve your academic goals. That said, your resume is (for these schools) wholly underwhelming when compared to that of other applicants. It would really be up to your recs and essays to turn a reject into an acceptance. Even with that, it's very doubtful.

Regarding the other UCs, I think you've got a good chance, and with Wash U, I know they're clamoring for minorities of any type. As for NYU, I can't say, but I *think* you have a good chance.

Take my $.02 with a grain of salt..

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

I am. The ivies were my reach schools, but I do think I have a good chance at Berkeley.

I am confused as to how my ECs are "underwhelming" though, because I've been involved in really varied and demanding activities. All right, I didn't cure cancer, but I AM the president of the Book Club! haha.

By Yep (Yep) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 12:57 am: Edit

monterrey varr...

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

if you're asian and white, do you get URM status?

By May_1 (May_1) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:58 am: Edit

Brent:

When I say there underwhelming, you have to consider the fact that you're going up against ppl who, instead of being the president of the book club, were able to get in contac with libraries across the region and get them to donate their old childrens books to needy families...or instead of participating in theatre, they sought out and performed in a university or even professional show...This is the cream we're talking about.

Warriorlax22:

Let's see. Q. What does URM stand for? A. Under-Represented Minority. Q. Are whites and asians underrepresented on college campuses? A. No. Q. Because whites and asians are not underrepresented on college campuses, can they be considered Under-Represented Minorities? A. I think you get the inherent answer.

HTH

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 08:56 am: Edit

YEP! Im from Saltillo Coahuila!!! pretty close, which school do you go to?

By 2ivies (2ivies) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

I know Harvard does not consider URM, most Ivies do not. Look at their stats, very few Mexicans at those schools. My daughter had 1510 SAT, 760-780 SAT IIs, GPA about 4.34W, 3.98UW, had one of her painting kept by the AP Art College Board (90,000 submitted, 30 are kept) and graduated number one at her school. She did not get in and she is Mexican.

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 11:44 am: Edit

mm but we must remeber that Harvard's acceptance rate is VERY LOW!!

By Dali17 (Dali17) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 12:30 pm: Edit

2ivies. Maybe she wasnt as deprived as many other mexican students. Simply from reading your post, I can see that you speak english very well unlike many other parents of mexican students. Her stats are incredible and she'll end up in one of the top colleges. Dont worry

By Kyle (Kyle) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Umm...I hate to break it to you, but URM (hispanic) status does not mean that much, especially from california where hundreds of competitive hispanic candidates apply.

What do you mean by "you don't qualify for any non-need based aid"? So that means you will only qualify for need-based aid?

My high school was 50% hispanic (lower-middle to working-middle class), and there were 2 mexican students who really stood out (1 male, 1 female). Both had 1400+ on the SATs, extraordinary grades (4.4+, top 5%), and the male went to the state finals for wrestling, and they were considered "competitive" applicants (by no means close to gauranteed).

The female: Rejected to Harvard and Yale, now at Brown.

The male: Rejected to Harvard, waitlisted at Princeton, now at UCLA.

The point is, don't think that being an URM and having good stats automatically means that you're in.

Also, keep in mind that the UC's do not have AA. They take into account socioeconomic background way more than ethnic background. So for a school like UC Berkeley -- with all else equal, a lower-middle class asian/white applicant will get in over an upper-middle class hispanic/black. Hard to believe...but true.

Lastly -- the post about "parents not speaking english/being immigrants" is ridiculous. The majority of Asian applicants are 1st generation -- meaning that their parents also immigrated here and don't speak very good English.

By Kyle (Kyle) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:53 pm: Edit

However, I do think that you are a competitive applicant, and I wish you best of luck. Just don't feel like you're "definitely" in, because there are ALOT of qualified URM with higher stats and achievements.

By Dali17 (Dali17) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Kyle. First of all, do you think the importance of education in the eyes of hispanic and asian parents is the same? Second of all, the statement about parents not speaking english does have validity in it. how can you compare a student that has parents who are mexican immigrants and have no high school education to a student with mexican parents that are apparently very involved in their child's education and that speak english very well. Just something to consider.

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

go dali17! :), i have to agree with you!!

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

coming from a wealthy background doesn't cancel out URM Status.

my sister worked in admissions at Vassar. obviously its not as selective as an ivy but she said they, like most liberal arts colleges, are desperate for high-scoring minorities.

By Dali17 (Dali17) on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

thanks for the info sadeyedlady. If my URM status helps me then so be it. Im just lucky to have the opportunity to go to a great college unlike many other individuals in less developed countries.

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

Damn. I KNEW I should have applied to Vassar! OH well.

Anyway, to clarify, I meant I don't qualify for need-based aid. And my parents are second generation. (I think. My grandparents came from Mexico.)

Oh, and for whoever said my activities weren't up to par: I still wonder how many kids cured cancer and went to the moon in their solar-powered radio flyer wagons? Maybe activities in a local context (like Kids Day at The Beale) don't get a lot of attention, but they are still worthwile and important. I hope that admissions officers realize that.

Does anyone else wonder how much more they can do?! I mean, I get no sleep and am ALWAYS invovled in an activity. Just working in non-profit theatre can be up to 20 hours a week! Oh, and I have worked in an equity theatre, before, if that matters. I chose not to write that on the app because the community ones are
more important to me. Maybe they shouldn't be?

But it's too late! Oh no! I've already sent in all of my apps. I do have some scholarship stuff left to do, though.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:07 am: Edit

I'm a Bakersfieldian too Brentlomas and you should not be proud of that GPA (darn grade inflation at Stockdale). I'm just razzin' ya. I go to BHS. Anywho, I think you'll have a great shot with the UC's and NYU but others are reaches, not impossibles, but reaches nonetheless. Good luck with those apps and Stockdales grade inflation. :)

-Jesse

By Wahoo2008 (Wahoo2008) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 06:06 am: Edit

nobody cares if you're mexican. if you are depending on your race to get you into a college you probably dont belong there

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 06:52 am: Edit

admissions officers care if he is mexican.

Their opinions matter.

Yours do not.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 06:59 am: Edit

To YEP:

which highschool in monterrey do you go to?
asfm?

by the way...i loved your "saddle" mountain...but you guys say to much "padre"
i know its mexican slang but still...its always,"a huevos padre"..."como estas padre"
hehe

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

bump

By Christinew87 (Christinew87) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

ok.. what is a bump?
does it do something?
bump

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

I just learned this last week. The point is to bring your topic to the top of the list.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page