Quick essay question, with profanity

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Quick essay question, with profanity
By Tim on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 07:23 pm: Edit

The last words of one of my essays are "Holy shi_t!"

Do you guys think I ought to blank it out ("Holy S---!") or leave it uncensored.

Tim

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 07:32 pm: Edit

uncensored.

By Perfect Answer on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 07:33 pm: Edit

write it like this: $h!t

By chicken on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 07:37 pm: Edit

where are you applying, Tim?

By hi on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 10:32 pm: Edit

If you are going to swear, swear. Putting in some *'s just makes you a sissy

By no one on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 10:33 pm: Edit

What kind of essay would end with holy ••••?

By Tim on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 10:57 pm: Edit

This one is going to CMU. It's actually a quotation of other people so it's not "me" swearing.

Tim

By change on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 11:49 pm: Edit

That's what I like to call 'trashy', Tim. I would expect better from a seemingly intelligent young man. It's one thing to use profanity somewhere else in your essay, but why in the world would anyone END it with those words??? Tim, years ago, my esteemed English teacher told me, "End your essay with a bullet." I am going to give you that same advice, because "Holy S___" is no bullet. Good Luck!

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Uncensored. Go with it. One of the best essays we read in class this year contained numerous references to the author's best advice he ever recieved, which was "Move your ass!"

By Tim on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

Well, it's in now.

I might just be a trashy person. I always suspected it, myself. Most people I asked thought this was the most effective ending.

For anyone who's interested here's just the final paragraph - I'm not really afraid of anyone plagiarizing it as the paragraph itself is short and makes little sense out of context. Enough people outside this board suggested uncensored that I decided to play it safe. Ass would have probably stayed uncensored but s-it is a more "naughty" word.

----SNIP-----

As a final observation, in our faux extremis, when people verbalize more than a wordless scream, the most likely call was not to God, Allah, or Mommy. Rather, they beseeched the aid of the divine excrement - "Holy S---!"

-----END----

And I just realized in my last-minute final proofreading I screwed up the verb tenses a little. Gosh darn it all to heck.

Tim

By Mark on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

Not only is this quite pedantic, but you also need to learn how to write succinctly. The last sentence seems more glamorous than meaningful--"beseeched the aid of the divine excrement"...wow.

By lol on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 12:40 am: Edit

good luck getting in dude

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

hey fender i read that book too! from a guy named barry kay, right?

By newessay on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

write a new essay

By hehe on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Fender and justwannahelp--

The "move your ass" essay was one of the most hilarious things I have ever read. Priceless! Everyone should read that...

By Tim on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Is this ass essay available on the Internet anywhere? I'd like to read it.

Tim

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 04:56 am: Edit

It was from a book called Essays that worked, or something like that. We read it in Eng Class.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 02:08 am: Edit

that was a great compilation of essays. that one by maeve binchy (sp?) never fails to make me cry. sigh...

I also really liked the one about the guy who lived in nashville but hate elvis: the guy who debunked the king.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page