National Society of High School Scholars

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: National Society of High School Scholars
By wondering on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:28 am: Edit

Have you heard of The National Society of High School Scholars? Are they credible? I got a letter from them saying that I could join and become a lifetime member for 45$ and considered for scholarships. Is it worth it? Their website is: http://www.nshss.org/new/

By yeah.. on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:33 am: Edit

Hmm.. I got a similar letter.. don't know what I did with it.. curious as to what it's all about, too.

By wondering on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:34 am: Edit

by the way...in a section of the website it says:

Benefits of Society Membership

Recognition

In keeping with the Nobel family tradition of recognizing excellence, Claes Nobel is extending an invitation to you to be recognized for your outstanding scholastic achievement. Membership in the Society identifies you as one of the best and brightest high school students in the nation.

Membership

Join a national group of high-achieving peers. The Society is a dynamic organization dedicated to meeting the needs of members. You can capitalize on opportunities to be recognized for your achievements and discover new avenues to further benefit yourself in leadership, scholarship, and service well beyond high school.

Unique Scholarship Opportunities

Membership in the Society allows you to apply for member-exclusive scholarships and to enter member-exclusive academic competitions. Currently four $5000 scholarships are awarded each year based on GPA, leadership experience, and community involvement. More theme-based scholarship opportunities will be announced in the coming year including categories of: music, poetry, visual fine arts, theatre, environmental issues, global community issues, volunteerism, sports, creative writing, technology and entrepreneurial spirit.

Enhanced College Application

Membership in the Society distinguishes you as one of the academic leaders of your class and helps your application to stand out from among the others. Competition is increasing for admission to colleges and universities. Being recognized as a member of the National Society of High School Scholars may assist you in the admission process to the college or university of your choice.

Engraved Certificate

Your personalized certificate, designed by Jostens, beautifully commemorates this milestone in your academic career. The certificate, of university diploma quality, was created exclusively for the Society and signed by Claes Nobel. It will be mailed to your home in a presentation folder.

Personalized Press Release Announcing Your Acceptance

A personalized press release will be mailed to your home along with your certificate. You can send copies to your local newspapers to announce your membership and report on your achievements.

Publications

Electronic publications and monthly updates inform, entertain, showcase members, and provide guidance on issues relevant to the membership.

Members-Only Web Content

You can access and update your personal information and scholarship information online. We have a strict privacy policy to insure your personal information does not go beyond the Society. Members can access information on financial aid, scholarships, college prep, and unique content features designed to help connect you with educational assistance, volunteerism, leadership development, and financial assistance.

so yea, is it worth the 45 bucks?

By Tim on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:34 am: Edit

Bigger rip-off than Who's Who.

Tim

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:29 pm: Edit

*golden rule* If they ask you for money it's a scam.

By mamon on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 03:38 pm: Edit

yeah true.........i stupidly paid....but then i cancelled.....all you get is a stupid diploma.....which i got for free.....dont pay.

By wondering on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 06:04 pm: Edit

thanks...i wont

By Cutie_Pie_17 (Cutie_Pie_17) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:31 am: Edit

I got a letter too, I did find a website though, they won't let you into the site w/o a last name and confirmation code, which supposedly is only available to a nominated few. anyways once i got in they knew all of my info., my last name, first and middle...they even knew the town i live in...but they didn't know the state! To me thats fishy. The website is www.nshss.org . I have plenty of other scholarship offers, They aren't getting my $45 dollars, even if they are credable. Does anyone know for sure if they are, if so let me know...PLZ? cutie_pie_452001@yahoo.com
By the way: The Who's Who Among American High School Students thing is actually real, the validictorian for the class of 2003 at my school got a scholarship from them. The only reason they ask you for money is to fund the publication of the book they put out w/all the names of it's members in it. Which still, if you ask me, is a rip off.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page