NC Kid for Yale, Amherst, Brown, others

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: NC Kid for Yale, Amherst, Brown, others
By spontanuity on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 09:06 pm: Edit

I've just finished submitting all of my applications. Just for kicks, I'd like to see what other people think of my chances at Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Amherst, Williams, Brown, Chicago, Duke, and Carolina. Both my parents attended UNC.

Basics: White middle-class male from NC
SAT I: 790-Verbal 740-Math
SAT IIs: Writing-800 IIC-800 U.S.-780
PSAT: 222 (National Merit Semifinalist)
GPA: 3.85UW/4.85W Rank: 3/362
APs: 5-EnviSci 4-BC Calc 4-US His 3-Latin Vergil
Major interests: Creative Writing, Envir. Studies
ECs: Boy Scouts (Eagle Scout, Sr Patrol Leader), Order of the Arrow (Chapter Chief, Youth Member of the Year), Swimming (All-Conference, 4 Years Varsity), Latin Club (President, 1st in Upper Certamen at Fall Forum), Environment Club (2nd, 4th, 5th in Area Envirothon), a few minor writing awards, attended NC Governor's School for Social Science

By Wanksta33 on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Duke - Yeah; Chicago - Yep (i got in EA w/ 1570 and 3.9 weighted GPA); Yale/Stanford/Harvard - who knows? I sure as hell don't.

By Liz (Liz) on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:25 am: Edit

Did you go to gov. school west or east? I'm going next year and I hear west is better...

By sponanuity on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 10:23 am: Edit

i was at west. about 130 kids went over to east to hear a lecture at duke, but i wasn't a part of that group. people who did go said that the east campus had more restrictions, less lenient TACs, etc. i'm not sure how they picked up all that information in one night, though.

in what area were you accepted?

By SHYP&Co. on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

what were your essays about? were they unusual? if you expressed a strong interest in writing and had dull (well, unexceptional) essays, they might feel more inclined to reject you.

By Liz (Liz) on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

English.

By spontanuity on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 12:47 pm: Edit

SHYP&Co. - for most schools, i had one very serious essay and another essay that displayed my creative side. i guess i'll find out in april how much the admissions officers liked them.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page