IM SICK OF THIS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: IM SICK OF THIS
By vp on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 08:14 am: Edit

What is this world? Why so contradictory? For my whole life Ive been taught that all of us are equal. Those who belive it are put on a pedastal and thoughts such as those are called humanitarian. Now, as we apply to college, I become lesser than someone if i do not get into Princeton, and better than someone else if do get in? How come? Does that even make any sense?
Actions speak louder than worlds. This thought has been embossed in my mind for years now. Even when I have to introduce myself, i prefer not to talk about myself too much. Let the person get to know me and find out. But suddenly these colleges want me to talk about myself. Suddenly, my essays where i gloat about myself become so important.

How are these institutions so sure that my teachers know me? My counselor may well know me from my grades, from someone who has told her about me. Does she know me really? Not all of us reveal our humanitarian side to our counselors. How does she know it if i was the one to support a lone child when the whole class turned against him or her? Yet her superficial knowledge of me is counted on and taken into consideration during the consideration of my admission.
I am president of the school. Yet im not the one to scream and raise my voice. How does she know that the most rebelious of guys in my class have such respect for me that whenever i say something they do it? Does she really kno. NO. SHe has NO IDEA. And how do any of my teachers kno any better.... this is so not fair......

By why? on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 11:00 am: Edit

what do yu suggest??how should students be evaluated??

By geegookaa on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 11:06 am: Edit

Did you get into Princeton?

By vp on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 12:55 pm: Edit

well im applyin Rd to princeton :) but im not suggesting any other way to evaluate, i suppose ther isnt any other way....im just bugged... sorry...

By Sabzevarian (Sabzevarian) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 03:44 pm: Edit

The world is not equal. Everyone supposedly has equal rights. That's as equal as it gets.

By zhouj on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

The world and life itself aren't fair. Not everyone is born with an IQ of 160 or 100 for that matter. A minority of the people are born into rich families and basically have it made the rest of life while the rest of us have to work to earn a living. The college admissions process is as fair as it will ever get. They simply can't conduct a full psychological and academic report on every applicant. Even then, there are bias. The only thing that is really bad about the college admissions is of course, affirmative action. Why should I have to work twice as hard as some lazy minority guy just to get into the same exact university? Anyway, good luck with getting into Princeton.

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Read Harrison Burgeron by Kurt Vonnegut.

By dartmouth 07 on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Dartmouth has a peer evaluation which may help schools see you as you're peers do

By Philosopher on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 04:39 pm: Edit

The world is fair. Before we are born, we all have an equal chance of being born in a rich family or a poor family. For example, lets say there are inherently 5% smart and rich people (just an example). Our spirits or whatever have a 5% chance of being born that way. Life is a game like that. its fair.

By dude on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Money makes the world go round.

By Fish3715 on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Why not write an essay about that (besides the obvious time constraints)?

By vp on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 01:34 am: Edit

LOL ok ok guys.....i was just gettin irritated..and it came to me in words.so i thought itd make a good essay...and i was wondering if anyone shares my thoughts......jeeeeeeeeeeez

By bobby on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 01:44 am: Edit

Life is fair even if you're not born a millionaire. If one is ambitious, assertive, and hard-working, he or she may elevate him/her self out of poverty, ignorance, and essentially slavery (after all, what most of us are). It's Darwin: the survival of the fittest. The smartest and the most outgoing will still eventually surpass the bright, but intellectually Harvard grad, who will get a 150K/year job and calm down. Well, someone born poor obviously won't stop at that petty sum. Therefore, the strongest will leave their mark, no matter how humble their initial state was. What do you think?

By bump on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:11 am: Edit

bump

By retard on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:27 am: Edit

I think you're retarded.

By vp on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 06:10 am: Edit

how did u guess......u must be psychic or something.......whoaaaaaaaaaaa

By vp on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 06:38 am: Edit

ooops sorry dint mean that..accidentally replied to somethign which wasnt addressed to me...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page