Off to a good start? Or should I hustle more.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Off to a good start? Or should I hustle more.
By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 09:51 pm: Edit

State: Oklahoma

Freshman:
-=First Sem=-

PreAP-English: 4.0
PreAP-Bio: 4.0
PreAP-Oklahoma History (LOL): 4.0
French I: 4.0
PreAP PreCalculus: 4.0
Freshman Basketball: 4.0 (Yea, they count it)
Art I: 4.0

Sat I: None (Studying for it)
Sat II: None (Never really heard much about it)
ACT: Composite 25 (7th Grade, but I know this score won't get me anywhere)
PSAT: 180 (Yea I know, I really sucked that up! Hope I can improve it by my junior year so I can have a shot at National Merit... :\)

Clubs:
Freshman Basketball Team
Multicultural Club (Fresh. Class Rep.)
French Club
FCCLA (Future Career and Community Leaders of America)
Key Club
SADD (Students against destructive desicions)
Student Council (I'm only staff though)
SUN Club (It's an environmental protection club)
FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)(But this really isn't much work)
Mu Alpha Theta (National Honors Society Mathematics Club, not really that big of a deal other than that I'm in it as a Freshman)

Community Service:
Crop Walk (Feed hungry children and stuff)
Help John Ross elementary organize auction night for Children.
Road Clean-Up.(Adopt-a-road program)
Helped organize Christmas party for the disabled.
Did environmental presentation for Elementary and Middle School children.

Talents:
Piano player (8 Years)(Play for church)(Composed a few pieces, but not much recognition)
Artist (Reflections Art Contest 1st place state winner)
Mathematics: I'm pretty advanced in that I've skipped Alg I, and Alg II and am taking an 11th or 12th grade class, but I haven't had any competition opportunites yet. I'm taking the AMC- 12 after Christmas.

Leadership Roles:
Freshman Representative of Multi Cultural Club.
(I know I'll need a lot of improvement in this area.)

I'm very concerned about how little I have done this first semester. I find that I take too much time to play on the computer and to talk to my friends. I don't know if anyone else ever had those problems when they were Freshmen. I don't think I have achieved as much as I can, and I would appreciate any advice from the successful upper-classmen on this discussion board. Thank you.

-Mike

By ok on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 11:25 pm: Edit

calm down ur only a freshman and shut up. a 25 ACT wont get you anywhere. most people would die for a 25 b/c the average is a 20 or so. id say just focus on one really important extra curricular thing b/c if you have that much adcom's will see as another brownnoser trying to do everything to get into an ivy.

By Yo! on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 11:44 pm: Edit

I don't think anyone from Oklahoma could get in to an Ivy. Isn't that a hick state?

Just foolin. You're doing a lot for a Freshman, just make sure you have a Social Life too.

By E-tiquette on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:59 am: Edit

Holy crap is that a lot! Wow.....and your a freshman! Don't worry at all. Like "ok" said before, try to remain focused and don't join every club as a cheap attempt to get into an Ivy. Pick like three or four clubs to become the star player in and you'll have a great chance. Get some more leadership positions, practice for the SAT I, take an SAT II subject test in all possible areas, and take a lot of AP courses to prepare for the exams. If you do all of that then you are more than likely to be accepted to almost every Ivy League! Good job so far!

By Oh_well on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 01:01 am: Edit

I wish I was a freshman again. Damn did I F*ck up when compared to you. Looks like suicide.......(gulp)

By Burberry (Burberry) on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 02:21 am: Edit

oh no, you really need to hustle more.
quickly, time is running out!

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:23 am: Edit

Can being in Oklahoma really lower my chances of getting into an 'Ivy'?

By ___________________________Get_a_life_______________________________________ on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Surely it will.....

By nyguy on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:50 pm: Edit

dont listen to these diiots bein from oklahoma is generally an advanatge. they try and recruit from all over the US so its less populated in oklahoma and you are under less geographic competition as someone from say westchester or some of these high powered socal schools

By ---------please--------- on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 02:58 pm: Edit

hustle more

By Me on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Hey, who the •••• pulled my post outta here?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page