Is there hope?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Is there hope?
By helpme on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 02:10 pm: Edit

I'm a junior girl from the Midwest. I'm eyeing Columbia, Amherst, Wesleyan, Brown, etc. as well as some safer bets and U of M. I feel like I'm crazy to even be hoping for these schools. My stats are as follows, and while feedback on those would be nice, I'd really like to get some advice for improvement.
I do not yet have SAT scores, but my PSATs seemed to predict in the 1400s. I'm using my mother and review books to make sure I get at least that if not better on the real test.
My GPA for this year and last is a 4.0, taking seven academic classes where five is standard, (unweighted, all honors classes). Freshman year was difficult for me, and my grades showed it, although the never dipped below 3.5. Math (thanks to dyscalculia) has been a struggle for me, but through independent studies where I can go at my own pace, I'm overcoming it and hope to take AP calculus next year. I'm passionate about English, and have taken every English elective offered at my school in addition to the standard curriculum, so I have the equivalent of 6 years of English. I'm independent studying the craft and criticism of modern poetry now. This year I'm taking 2 APs, next year 4 or 5. My school, though nationally known in "gifted" education, does not teach to tests (yay!) but as a result our class offerings are pretty atypical and don't line up with the AP system. And, because the school is tiny, they cannot offer what other school might in terms of choices. An aspiring actress, I've had various leads and supporting roles in school theatre and community theatre, and I've spent summers studying at the local Second City (improvisational theatre) and North Carolina School of the Arts (drama), as well as Interlochen Arts Camp (again, as a drama major). I'm hoping to intern at a theatre company in Boston this summer. I'm the first student editor of my school's literary magazine, and a member of both the choir and the repertory dance company. I'll have great essays and exceptional recomendations. What else can I do?

By Iggy boy on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 02:53 pm: Edit

I know very little but here goes

My main advice would be to stress the acting and show how passionate you are about it. The elite colleges are now looking for "well lopsided" applicants. This means applicants that show extraordinary passion in one or two areas. If you do that, I would say you have a decent shot.

Just my 2c

By ean on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 04:50 pm: Edit

You have a good shot at Wesleyan, which looks especially favorably on theatre and english people. Great theatre and music. Decent chances everywhere else, too. Go for it!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page