Is a community college my only option?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Is a community college my only option?
By Brandon on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 03:38 am: Edit

I know its kind of late to be doing this, but I wanted to know if I had a chance of going to a college besides a community college. Iím an African American male, 1010 SAT (540 v, 470 m), 2.02 GPA, I donít do many extra curricular activities programming club, school television show and BSAP. And as you can guess, Iím on the lower end of my class ranking.
I know the scores are low, but please donít call me a moron or whatever. I just want to know if I can get into someplace besides a community college.

By keepyaheadup on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 03:39 am: Edit

Yeah since ur black, you can probably get into a good college. Just talk about how u get hella oppressed and shiz like that. U got a chance man, keep ya head up.

By .. on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 03:40 am: Edit

You probably can. Don't know where. But i'm sure there are plenty of colleges looking for black kids with scores over 1000.

By Wade Leahy on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 04:17 am: Edit

Consider the fact that by going to a 4-year college now, you won't be able to get into a very good one. If you plan on going to any *good* colleges, or high-ranking (or at least decent) programs, I think you should do two years at a good community college and transfer. I know a guy who failed every single course in h.s., and a while later, when he felt better about schoolwork in general and figured out what he wanted to do with his life, he went to a CC, got excellent grades, and transferred to a real good school.
Good luck.

By no noe on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 02:14 pm: Edit

You can add .7 to your GPA and around 300 points to your SAT because of your race.

The question is, do you want to go to a school where you've earned the right because of your merit, or do you want to go to a school where you're just a skin color to an admissions officer

By p on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 02:18 pm: Edit

Do I have a chance at Wharton? I'm an African American male with a 1480 SAT, 750 SAT average, lot of EC's, but I only have an 84 high school average. Do I have a chance?

By 3 on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Check out Florida A&M. It's a historically black university that you could probably get into. Good luck!

By RamiroT on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

with a 1010 SAT you better not go to community college! go to a state school! if not there are many good private universities that do not need 1300+ SAT's....for example here in san antonio,tx there are 4 priv un. that will most likely accept anyone with just a 900 SAT. look around and dont settle for community college you can do better than that. CC should be for working students only. dont settle for less.

By dontleavemehanging on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

RamiroT, what are they?

By RamiroT on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 07:14 pm: Edit

well here in san antonio, tx....they are St. Mary's University (one of the best grad u. in the west), U of the Incarnate Word, Our Lady of the Lake Univeristy and Wayland Baptist University. search collegeboard.com or fastweb and try to find a college that meets your profile.

By Sabzevarian (Sabzevarian) on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 07:20 pm: Edit

You might want to look into some Canadian universities. It's not too hard get in there as a a US student (I heard that anyway) due to less people applying from the US, and less emphasis on SATs.

By hhh on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:59 am: Edit

Wade Leahy, what college did the person go to?

By Wade Leahy on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 06:07 am: Edit

Right now he's in Carnegie Mellon... we haven't been in touch for quite some time, so I'm not sure whether he's still there or he'd already graduated. But that's where he got into.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page