Chances at Carleton?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances at Carleton?
By Hello03 (Hello03) on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 12:13 am: Edit

Hi, I have a 1240 SAT score 720 Math IC, 750 Spanish, 600 Math IIC and a 3.94 GPA. Anyone know if I have a good chance at Carleton? I also do lots of extracurricular activity. Any suggestions about where I could get in with these stats- preferably a liberal arts college comparable to Carleton?
(nice advice please)

By Geezer Dad on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Your 1240 is below Carleton's middle 50% SAT range of 1280 to 1460 (look these up in USNews rankings), which would make it very difficult for you to get in. With your good grades and SAT II scores, I suggest you condsider several excellent northeast colleges that don't require SAT I--Bates, Connecticut College, and Colby. Bowdoin and Middlebury similarly don't require SAT I, but they are still extremely selective. Also, if you look at the USNews rankings, there are many excellent liberal arts colleges where your SATs fall within their middle 50% SAT range. I recommend Kenyon and Earlham.

By dotmom on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:36 pm: Edit

You probably need to take the Writing SAT2 if you haven't already. I think it's required for some of the schools that don't require SAT1. Hamilton is another school that doesn't require SAT1.

By nyguy on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:45 pm: Edit

well im a URM with a 1440, 700 writing, and 650 bio and chem. i got decent ECs and have written authentic research for Intel. Carleton is my ideal choice. Ill be your competition. I just feel that these small liberal arts schools would be of greater benefit for my future than say an ivy :)

By michigal on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:48 pm: Edit

GeezerDad, do you think I have a shot at Carleton?
My scores are OK - 1430 SAT1 (690V/740M); SAT2 (640 Latin/700 IIC/720 Writing); 31 ACT. My GPA is only a 3.6 UW, but at a top private school and includes 9 honors and APs. The only subject I didn't take AP/honors was Latin - my least favorite subject. I've won 4 national Latin awards. ECs are mainly sports - two varsity sports all years, captain in one. Other ECs are community service project in Africa, Model UN, Amnesty Int'l, a few others. Haven't been manic about stacking resume with ECs. In addition to Carleton, other reach schools include Bates, Wesleyan, Colby, Oberlin. I hope I have a pretty good shot at Grinnell and Bryn Mawr. Appreciate your assessment.

By michigal on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:51 pm: Edit

nyguy - you're not our competition, you're our conqueror. Nevertheless, hope to meet you at Carleton.

By Geezerdad on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Michigal, I think you have an excellent shot at Carleton. I think you have an excellent shot at all the schools you listed with the partial exception of Wesleyan, which is the only school I would consider a "reach" for you, but where I would rate your chances as nevertheless "decent," certainly high enough to be worth applying to. Every single school you mention is excellent, and I expect you would certainly be admitted to more than one of them. My kid, by the way, will be attending one of them (got in ED).

Michigal (and NYguy), given the overwhelming frenzy evident on these boards to attend Ivy League or other universities with brand names to impress the ignorant, how did you come by the wisdom to seek the generally superior education offered by LACs?

By useatoothbrush on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Is Carleton more scores driven or EC driven? I have a 1560 SAT (800 math), no iis yet but I anticipate an 800 iic and high scores on the writing and physics exams, and a 4.0. My ECs are paltry (varsity cross country and rec soccer) though I've won awards at lots of state-level math competitions and I'm math club secretary. I'm a junior this year. I have virtually no community service, just what I need to maintain to stay in NHS. I'm taking the hardest courseload in my grade. I absolutely love Carleton and it will be my first choice college when I apply next year, perhaps ED (fin. aid is trouble, though). Are my chances good or poor because of my lack of ecs?

By michigal on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 01:04 am: Edit

Thanks, Geezerdad, I hope you're right! I think my choices are the result of a bunch of factors. For one, I'm from the midwest so I've seen with my own eyes the evidence of intelligent life west of Philadelphia. Also, I don't really like the ultra-competitive personality type that seems to be attracted to the Ivies. I want an academically serious (but not too serious) environment, small classes, accessible faculty who want to teach, friendly campus where most of the kids are smart, funny, interesting, and nice. And it would be great if there were a few people I could do sports with. Somehow that adds up to the schools on my list. Congratulations to your kid. Maybe I'll see him/her wherever...

By The Plain Truth on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 07:40 am: Edit

Carlton isn't that difficult to get into because it's hard for it to attract top students to that location for 4 years. It's a good school but frankly most candidates with a choice prefer to be somewhere else.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page