For Cornell

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: For Cornell
By Icee on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Hello. I am currrently a Sophomore in High School and I am REALLY interested in either Cornell or Berkeley.

Currently I have a 4.0 GPA but I expect that to go down a little, I play varsity tennis, racquetball, Amnesty Int'l Club, InterACT Club, and volunteer with the Social Action Committee. I plan to do a LOT more my Junior year, and anything to prepare me for that would be great. What do you think I should do?

Should I join more clubs or do more sports? Please let me know, thanks.

By ABC on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Sports are fine. For clubs, join one that "looks good". The newspaper, model UN, debate team, chess club all look good. If you're really serious about going to an Ivy like Cornell now, start studying for the SAT. Study a few words a day and revise them every once in a while so you don't forget. Good luck!

By Icee on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 08:55 pm: Edit

I am curious. If I get 2 B's in an unweighted 4.0 system with 8 classes, will this affect my GPA greatly?

By COOLIO on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 08:59 pm: Edit

>Should I join more clubs or do more sports?

By your previous response, you should take up a math class...

By Icee on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:01 pm: Edit

I am currently enrolled in Algebra 2 Trig. However, I haven't understood the grading system since when they changed it last year. :(

By COOLIO on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:09 pm: Edit

B's are 3.5, so just avg them in (and what kind of a class is algebra 2/trig? no wonder why US students are awful at math)

By Icee on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:13 pm: Edit

It's after Geometry, and right before Pre-Calc. Generally taken by Juniors, and a few Sophomores as well. So then A 'B' is worth 3.5 and an 'A' is worth 4? By that count 4x6= 24 + 7= 3.4
And I know its not that low. I think its a 3.7.

By Me on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Icee, holy •••• man, do the math. It's really not that complicated. Calculate you're GPA for previous years and average it with whatever a GPA would be with 2 B's. (You're obviously not going to Cornell.......)

By Icee on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Ah, sorry. I understand now, you meant to average the numbers. I did not read that correctly.

By Icee on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Hey, take that back. It hurts. Simple mistake.

By zhouj on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Me: Everyone makes mistakes. Besides, Cornell is a liberal arts school. It's not like he wants to be a math major at MIT or something.

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 11:05 pm: Edit

First of all, where is a B grade a 3.5 unweighted? I've always known it to be
A=4
B=3
C=2
D=1
F=0

Second, if a B was 3.5 and you had 2 Bs and 6 As, then your GPA for the period would be 3.87.

By The (The) on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 11:27 pm: Edit

A "B" is a 3.0.

At the school I work, Algebra 2/Trig is generally taken by sophomores and really stupid juniors who aren't stupid enough to be in the "integrated" math series.

By COOLIO on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 10:59 am: Edit

HEre are my schools gpa:

A+: 4.0
A : 4.0
A-: 4.0
B+: 3.7
B : 3.5
B-: 3.2

C+ and below (no one cares cause then you shouldnt post on this board)

By Icee on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Yeah, I thought it was a 3 as well. That would be cool if it was a 3.5, but oh well.

The(The) That's interesting. I would say 3/4th of the people in my school take Geometry Sophomore year. Schools are a lot different I guess.

By Amg2k03 (Amg2k03) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 02:31 pm: Edit

WTF....I GET 3.0 for any B!!!!!

By zhouj on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Unweighted
Any A=4
Any B=3
Any C=2
Any D=1
Any F=0
Weighted
AP Classes
Add +1 point to what you normally receive excluding anything below a C. (e.g. B=4 and A=5)
Honors Class
Same procedure as the AP classes except it might be +0.5 depending on your school.
Normal Classes
Follows the unweighted chart.

By zhouj on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 03:25 pm: Edit

If you apply to colleges as a science major, not being in Geometry or above during freshman will hurt you. The best way is to make sure you've finished AP Calc BC by the time you apply. If you're majoring in the liberal arts or such, it doesn't really matter. They compare you in the complete applicant pool first and then they compare you with the pool of people who intend to major in the same major catergory (e.g. liberals arts or science) as you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page