Chances at NYU, Columbia, University of Chicago

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances at NYU, Columbia, University of Chicago
By Louise Stender on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 12:32 am: Edit

Hi! I'm a Junior at a 2-year Residential High School for the Arts and Humanities--voice major. I'm really nervous about college next year. NYU is my dream school, but I'm applying to several others. You all seem to be experts, so let me know how you'll think I'll do at NYU, Columbia, University of Chicago (also George Washington University, Fordham University, and University of Southern California). I think those are all the schools where I'm applying. I'm a white female from the South (will geography be on my side or not?), and I plan to major in either music or comparative literature. (Which one would look better?)
5.32 GPA (Weighted)
2 AP's Junior year
4 AP's planned for Senior year
President of Junior Class
very rigorous pre-professional music program, includes membership in all-school and chamber choirs, private voice and piano instruction
-I write for a pretty well-known local newspaper in my hometown. I serve as a correspondent from my current school campus.
NHS
founer of a school wide tutoring program
Who's Who (should I really not put that on my app?? Someone said colleges didn't take it seriously.)
222 PSAT
Connecting Arts Through Service Club (not many hours-that's where I'm weak...I plan to volunteer a lot in my hometown this summer.)
-
I've only been at this new school for one semester- it's a few hours away from my hometown and places a great deal of emphasis on academics and artistic study. Due to my move, I had to discontinue most of my acivities from my hometown, which included dance instruction, drama, show choir, and Varsity tennis. Should I include these on my application (despite the fact I didn't do any of them for more than 2 years or so) from my sophomore and Junior years? They were very important to me, and I invested a great deal of time in them, but there was no way for me to continue my involvement.

This was a long post. I have a while to take my SAT's (I and II), volunteer more, and get a summer job. Can you guys tell anything about my chances?

By Bea420 on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 01:53 am: Edit

You should include them on your applications. They ask for information about all four years of high school.

By Louise on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 11:44 am: Edit

Any other ideas on how you think I'll do? Anyone?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page