My life is ruined - Cornell essay...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: My life is ruined - Cornell essay...
By Cru (Cru) on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 12:23 am: Edit

I just completed and sent my essays to Cornell. Jeese!!! I just found a essay on the "How to Get into the Top Colleges" book and I found a very similar essay. My essay is about envisioning the first year in college. The first part is similar, but not too much. The problom is the last part of the essay. There's a part where I discuss about the Cornell's hockey team. There's also a part where I read my friend's email and reply it with hilarious stuff. These details are way too similar to the essay on the book. The only difference is, I'm using my essay for Cornell, the person who wrote the essay on the book applied for UPENN... Will the admission officer ever notice? I did not copy. But, It looks like I did. Crap!

By Dadster on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 11:05 am: Edit

If you didn't actually plagiarize the essay, Cru, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure they get tons of similar essays - it would be hard to imagine them getting 15000 totally unique essays every year. At worst, it will look like a familiar theme and you won't get any originality points.

Your chances shouldn't be affected, though. Good luck!

By The (The) on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Since you posted on this board, you must really be worried that you're going to get "caught". Otherwise you probably wouldn't have worried about it. You have two choices:
1 - Just sit back and relax, because stressing about it isn't going to help you.
2 - Withdraw your application so that you don't have to risk being "caught".

----------- Here's some more: -------

In some sense, you could have plagarized the idea, even if not word for word. I haven't read your essay or the book's essay, so it would be difficult to assess. However, just changing the words doesn't make it "not plagarizing".

Take for example that stupid "I've done blah blah blah. But I have not gone to college." essay. You could make up entirely new "things you have done", but the essay wouldn't be original.

If you'd like any more advice let me know ;).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page