What are my chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: What are my chances?
By Rafix101 (Rafix101) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 05:00 pm: Edit

I am a sophomore at an excelent public high school in California. I am taking 3 AP classes this year (12 APs by end of HS) and have a 1520 on the SAT. I am on the basketball team and play organized soccer and participate in 5 clubs as well as do community service. I am in JHU CTY Talent Search and CSF, NHR, Who's WHo and so forth. But I recieved a 'B' one semester as a freshman. Assuming I continue getting A's and achieve a 1600 (being I achieved a 1520 as a 14-yearold) can I get into MIT?

By Bea420 (Bea420) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

If you can also write a decent essay, probably so.

By Rafix101 (Rafix101) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 05:02 pm: Edit

I am also a competetive member of both my forensics team and debate team for ec's.

By Rafix101 (Rafix101) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 05:10 pm: Edit

forgot to add I also play piano, do karate, and have won county art fairs, if that would affect anything.

By one on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

you one county fairs too? I one a lot though so i dont know how many you one. I one from at least 3 counties becuase oneing is what i do best

By Rafix101 (Rafix101) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Thanks for letting me in on the typo. I guess I wasn't paying attention to that detail since I figure it has little importance.

By Nydude on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

I love people who assume they'll get a perfect 1600! LOL

By jogo on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 09:01 pm: Edit

dude MIT is a joke. of course you'll get in. I got a 1320 on my SAT and failed English in 12th grade and i got into MIT.

By asd on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 09:03 pm: Edit

me too...Mexican Institute of Technology right???

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 09:10 pm: Edit

y would u bother trying to get a 1600? 1520 is a great score...save urself the stress and spend it writing essays and getting perfect SAT II's.

By Quarky on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 09:20 pm: Edit

ASSFSDFDFDSFSADFSFSF! Stop pollutting the atmosphere of College Confidential Discussion! Nobody cares that you go to some f'ed up Mexican Institute of DUmbass Retards in Cow-a$$hole Feeding. just shut up ok? I dont wanna hear any more of your camel$h1t.

By Rafix101 (Rafix101) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 09:35 pm: Edit

because i took it as a freshman through JHU. First of all, i just turned 14 a week before, and secondly because my counselor told me she doesn't think it is official since it was through JHU. any comments on if her thinking is correct?

By Penternet on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Take it again......liar

By Rafix101 (Rafix101) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 09:46 pm: Edit

I'm sorry if you feel I'm bloating my scores. The only reason I posted here was to get information; which would not be very valid if I had given you some fake SAT score and asked what my chances were. Also, who in their right mind would want to waste their Christmas vacation posting bs so they could have you post saying I was a liar. Go figure.

By zhouj on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 06:04 pm: Edit

No sophomore should be worried about college admission chances since you have 2 years and a plethora of events can occur during those two years. People have egos and those egos desire something they can't acquire. You could be posting fake scores because your ego needs a boost and you couldn't really get that score in real life. Speculation aside, CTY scores generally don't count since they're computerized and they don't follow the general guidelines of the real SAT's. BTW, what high school do you go to anyway? Anywhere in the Silicon Valley area?

By Rafix101 (Rafix101) on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 06:22 pm: Edit

No, not in the Silicon Valley area. I go to a school in the Fresno area (Clovis West). I'm just wondering because I didn't know if getting a fluke B would really hamper my chances at MIT or another engineering/sciences school since I have always loved the field and have dedicated time interning at many consulting/analytical firms. I don't really have that much of an obsession on college admissions or something, but I ran into this site and thought I would ask since I always had the question on my mind. I understand that there is always the possibilty of members posting fraudulent information for some sense of pride, and I guess I can't ask you to believe me. But if it helps at all, my only reason for coming here was to recieve valid info; it wouldn't be very valid if I lied to you. Thanks anyways! BTW where fo you attend school?

By sinbushar on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 07:22 pm: Edit

cty you take the real sat...and since it was in high school it should be valid...and i reallllllly don't think any college will give a crap if you went to cty or not.....so blah...and dude..you're a soph..enjoy school..have some fricken fun..kick back..

By Rafix101 (Rafix101) on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 08:59 pm: Edit

thanx. I'll try to lay back a little.

By zhouj on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:18 pm: Edit

I've heard of Clovis West. They were in a marching band competition that our band competed in San Jose or somewhere. I go to Fremont High School in Sunnyvale, CA. We're in an extremely good district but the socioeconomic condition of school sucks as a large percentage of the population are considered disadvantaged. Perhaps that's to my benefit since I'm probably going to succeed in spite of my conditions. School-wise, the teachers are oftern pretty awesome and we have a small number of people who make it to the elite schools. Worry about living up to your ability. Don't worry about actual college admissions right now. You're not the only one who's concerned about college; I'm a freshman and I, too, am concerned about whether I will get into Harvard or not. About the B, officially, a lot of schools don't consider 9th grade year but some like Stanford will. I'm not sure that MIT does but it might. Unofficially, they will look at it, and depending on what it is, they'll make a decision. However, it doesn't look good unless you go to some private college prep high school that MIT recognizes is tough if its an important class since its freshman year and all. Science or math class, you may take a hit depending on your future grades. English or elective, they won't care much. Non-academic, they wouldn't give a crap about it. I would make sure that you a) get 800's on the SAT I Math, and SAT II Math Ic and IIC to make sure you get a good chance of getting in. And I noticed you have 3 AP's this year but only 12 over 3 years. What else are you taking?

By Richie on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:40 pm: Edit

What do you think my chances of admission are at Cornell, Georgetown, and Tufts? I want to study business and economics.

SAT I 1310 (Math-720 Verbal-590)
SAT II Writing-650, MathIIC-680
4 on AP Calculus AB test in junior year
3.8 GPA
top 10% of class
Public magnet science high school (Similar to the Bronx School of Science and Stuyvestant in New York City)

Senior Year Courses
AP Macroeconomics
AP Microeconomics
AP Chemistry
Single Variable Calculus (above AP level)
Advanced Biology (honors)
English (honors)
Spanish (honors)

Varsity Soccer
Varsity Lacrosse
Editor of School newspaper
School concert band member
Volunteered for mentally challenged children
Worked at a camp last summer and had two jobs this summer.
Currently interning at one of the big 5 brokerage firms in the country.

Thanks a lot.

By q on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 09:43 pm: Edit

uh oh a B one semester as a freshman means you are automatically out

By Rafix101 (Rafix101) on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 03:04 am: Edit

im taking ap chem, ap world, and ap psych this year. AP bio, ap calc bc, ap us, ap comp as a junior. AP lit, ap physics, apes, ap econ, and ap gov as a senior(tentative).

By lionsroar on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

hey rafix, clovis west, eh? are you on the acadec team? you all are going down this year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page