Am I applying to too many reaches?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Am I applying to too many reaches?
By Ivybound01 (Ivybound01) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

Ok,

I'm an asian girl at a public school in the midwest that's relatively underrepresented at the ivies.

My stats:

4.0 uw Rank 1st of about 200
lower 1500's SAT and 760 sat ii average
Sr. Yr. taking 5 ap's

EC's:

Sr. Class Pres.
President of 3 other clubs
Member/smaller leadership positions in like 2 others
Good rec's/Good essays

Transcript shows a math/sci bent, and I'll probably be a pre-med.

I go to a school that doesn't send people out of state hardly.... Live in a rural area.

My List as of now:

I applied to my first choice, dream school, Harvard EA

RD:
Reach: Yale, Princeton, MIT or Stanford
Match: Upenn-the college, Cornell Arts and sci's (or should I do engineering since I'm a girl and I have a math/sci bent?), JHU (how important is the alumni interview and showing interest i.e. through emails?), Washington U., Duke?, Dartmouth?

Safety: Local/state school

I'm worried that all my reaches and matches are in the top 15 of u.s. news (not intentionally, really) and they have sub 30% acc. rates. I think, however, that Washington, Upenn, and Cornell will at least back me up right? Or should I expand my list of matches to Dartmouth and Columbia, etc. or other schools like a public, say Berkelely?

By Hertish (Hertish) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

I don't think columbia and cornell are matches

By Ivybound01 (Ivybound01) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:07 pm: Edit

so you think columbia and cornell are reaches?

I forgot to mention that I have a, I guess you could call it an almost-hook, that I think will set me apart from the vast majority of people with the same/similar stats.

By Cutie314 (Cutie314) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:49 pm: Edit

what's you're almost hook? I think u're a good candidate to all you're schools, but I'd say Washington U is your only match because the rest of those schools are reaches for everyone (berkeley too, for out of state). It doesn't sound like u want to go to your state school so i think u should look into some matches (maybe U. Chicago) and some maches/safeties (Carnegie Mellon, NYU)

By Ivybound01 (Ivybound01) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Hmm, cutie

Can't really tell ya cuz it would ruin it. but anyways, I'm fairly confident of Upenn and Cornell. Upenn cuz I read an article about it's admissions process and they mentioned someone from my state getting in (ED though) that had worse stats all around than me. Cornell, simply cuz it takes a lot of people with worse stats....and if i apply as an engineer, that's an almost 50% acc rate right there! except I think I'm gonna go for A&S instead....might as well stay true to myself. Not applying to Uchic. b/c i've heard bad stuff about it, plus their med school isn't that great. Northwestern was originally another fave, but their med school kinda sucks too. I was thinking of Dart. b/c I really like their whole package.....Not CMU and NYU, I'm pretty sure I could do better (no offense).

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

So what if their school's med schools "suck," you know you don't have to go to their med school after your undergraduate education? You seem to be overestimating yourself substantially.

By Junior04 (Junior04) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Dartmouth, Columbia, Cornell, and UPenn as matches?? Rethink that.

By Junior04 (Junior04) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 01:18 pm: Edit

"Not CMU and NYU, I'm pretty sure I could do better (no offense)."

It's fine to think that but in the end, if you are rejected from all of your matches (which are reaches for everyone) and reaches, and are left to the safety school, your going to wish you applied to a real match school.

By Kwiktrix123 (Kwiktrix123) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Ivybound,you really can't be too sure of yourself....Just warning you for possible disappointment.....

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Columbia, Dartmouth, Duke and Penn aren't matches for ANYONE!

By Laurabrink (Laurabrink) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

...Du-ude, stop smoking peyote and join the real world. Those schools are matches for many; Columbia is a match for me.

By Ivybound01 (Ivybound01) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Laura,

See, I think i agree with you b/c it seems that every school I visit, the people are like, the process is not that hard! THey're like "you should stop obsessing. You'll definitely get in here." and stuff like that. Which makes me wonder am I overreacting? Who's right here?

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 06:02 pm: Edit

Its 5 months a way and a pile of rejection letters from now, that Ivybound will have hoped she had payed attention to use naive college confidential posters. It's all good though, she can always go to a community college or something like that. -__-

By Lhm501 (Lhm501) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

The OP has this exact thread on Princeton Review & they were even harsher. Apparently she doesn't realize how many clones of her there are out there. Moderately successful, think they are hot in their small universe and fail to understand that there are awesome people at every high school and they are all applying to the same 10-15 schools. Scary but true. No time for hubris.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

do you know how many 1500+, top 10, 750+ average SAT II asian girls with a math/science bend apply to all those schools every year?

i, for one, am one.

i agree with EVERYONE that none of your matches are matches. all those schools are reaches for EVERYONE because so many great applciants get rejected every year. i have definitely heard of 1500+ SAT great kids getting rejected by Cornell/Penn, and 1200 SAT kids getting in. its not all about the scores/grades anymore.

find some more safeties and matches. seriously. my college list started with something like yours and got molded to the point where its now 4 reaches/2 matches/3 safeties.

you need a better mix. it doesnt look like you want to go to your state school. dont overestimate yourself.

im not trying to discourage you. just be realistic. its okay to dream and aspire, but make sure not to lose sight of things.

By Freak4korn72 (Freak4korn72) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

If you can afford all the application fees and are fine with knowing the fact that you will end up at just 1 school, then you shouldnt worry about how many you are applying at.

By the way, for all of you who say that the match schools should be reaches, maybe you should reconsider your thinking. The Princeton Review says my 30 ACT makes Cornell a "good match." I'll believe the professional website over people on a message board. Thats just me though--I still consider it a reach just because the words Ivy League. But it makes me more optimistic about my chances.

Incase you were wondering, im going to engineering

According to The Princeton Review:

Reach: Northwestern
Match: Cornell
Safety: University of Dayton, Purdue

I only paid $85 in application fees. Which is nice. I could apply to Rose-Hulman and a few other places (for free of course) but I know I'm not going to end up there, so why bother. I dont even think I want to go to Northwestern, but im applying since I had a fee waiver code, and well, could.

The only way I could see people getting rejected from the high end schools (if they have high SAT/ACT) is if they really screw up on their essays and tell the school what they think the school wants to hear. I could see that to be something that would get the adcom to reject the applicant in a heartbeat. Other than that I cant really imagine how someone could get rejected with those scores (assuming they're well rounded in EC's and all that as well).

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

PR's Counselormatic is notoriously unreliable. While the quality of advice on this board is all over the map, I would tend to take it over PR, which *way* overestimates your chances at top schools.

By Notstressed (Notstressed) on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 02:27 am: Edit

yo, we need to step back a second and realize something:
IF YOU WANT TO BE A DOCTOR, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE YOU WENT TO COLLEGE FOR YOUR UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE!
Let's here the responses come in... it's all about the MCATs, beee-yatch.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page