Need some expert to evaluate my chances at MIT and Yale plea

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Need some expert to evaluate my chances at MIT and Yale plea
By Yaleman (Yaleman) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:33 am: Edit

Hey everybody,
I am a German student and applying for Yale and MIT. Can anyone tell me what my realistic chances are... I am not that familiar with what the colleges are really looking for and can't really tell if I with my my stats am competative:

SAT I: 670 math 680 verbal ( I'm not a native speaker and have just taken the test once; does anyone know if the colleges take into account that we are not used to standardized tests?)

SAT II: Physics: 780
Math IIc:730
Writing: 670
Toefl: 297 (out of 300)
I spent one year in the US with a full scholarship by the US Congress. During that year I took AP Calculus BC and English Lit./Comp.

Calc: 5
Engl: 4

My Abitur grade (GPA) is very good (among top 5% percent of Germany's graduating class).

I speak English and German fluently. I also speak French and Spanish and had 7 years of Latin.
I have some ECs (German schools don't really offer those). I did a 8 week EMT training and worked as one during my civilian year. I have been playing tennis for about 8 years. Won some tournaments while I was in the US and I am playing for a German team at a tennis club.
One year of civilian service. And very good recommendations.
Do you think thats going to help me out with my pretty low SAT Is?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Philip

By Laurabrink (Laurabrink) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 11:15 am: Edit

You, like anyone else with SAT scores above about 1300, have a decent shot at getting into any school you choose. "Good SAT scores won't get you in the door, but bad SAT scores can certainly keep you out." It's all about you as a person, not merely your test scores.

For MIT, I suggest you convey via recommendations from math teachers that your mechanical aptitude is respectable; they already know you're good, with those Physics and Math IIC scores.

Yale, however, might be another story. I'm not especially familiar with Yale's admissions policies, but they do tend to depend a little more on SAT scores.

In the end, everyone and his brother has scored well on the SATs, taken 50,000 honors classes, received this-and-that award, speaks 15 languages, and cares about animal rights, or something to that extent. Play up who YOU are.

By Lhm501 (Lhm501) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:29 pm: Edit

I disagree that SAT scores above 1300 give you a decent shot at getting into any school you choose. For MIT and Yale you would have to be URM AND with fantastic ECs and essays to get in with a 1300. You are not URM, you are international and the bar is higher for you. I don't believe that your scores and less than average ECs make you highly competitive. Your stongest asset is your Congressional scholarship--that is seriously cool and your physics scores are great. I'm not saying don't try, but I would put your chances well below 50%. Your best shot is with a killer essay. Look at the average scores at MIT and Yale, they do count obviously.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page