Cornell ED dream crushed?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Cornell ED dream crushed?
By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Here's what I've got:
SAT I Math: 680
SAT I Verbal: 660
SAT II Math IC: 730
SAT II Writing: 690
SAT II Math IIC: 640 (ugly!)
SAT II Literature: 530 (no excuse for that one...)
AP Eng Lang/Comp: 4
GPA: 3.94 (unweighted)
Class Rank: 2/82 (rank is weighted)
Other: Eagle Scout, Student Council, 3 sport varsity athlete since 9th grade, active in community (250+ hours of community service), school-related clubs (Chess Club, Math Team, etc.).
Also: Will my semi-decent SAT Verbal (660), strong AP (4), and good grades in my English classes mollify my pathetic SAT II Literature score (530--ugh!)? Do I have any shot left at Cornell???

By K516 (K516) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

First off, remember that Cornell will only look at your 3 highest SAT 2 test scores. Thus, knowing that the admissions board doesn't spend much time on each app, pretty much assume that they won't even consider the Lit score. So, in your case, your 1C, 2C, and Writing scores will show up. Your SAT scores, as you should know, aren't the cream of the crop. But hey, you're GPA and rank are awesome, you did very well on the AP English Lang/Comp test (which in my opinion will well overlook the writing SAT 2 score, since AP tests measure subject knowledge far more than the SAT 2) plus you have really great extracurricular activities. So just pat yourself on the back for working hard up to this point, and whatever happens, happens. If you don't get into Cornell, you'll end up at some other great institution. If you do, congrats. Good luck, have fun, and relax.

By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Wow, thanks a lot! I feel better, but the sad truth is that Cornell will consider my Literature score because they require 3 SAT IIs in 3 different subjects. They will look at Writing, and IC and IIC as the same subject (both are math). So, according to Cornell, that makes only 2 subjects. That's where my Lit test kicks in and really hurts me. But, I can't do anything about it now, so I'll just sit tight and relax I guess... :)

By K516 (K516) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

cool =)

let me know how it goes..er somehow

By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Check this post on Dec. 10, if its still here. Thanx again!

By K516 (K516) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

wait a second, so if i take lit then does that count as the same subject area as writing, and thus if i have a bad science score, they'll see that as well?

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

No, I don't think Lit is the same area as Writing. He took Math IC and IIC, as in two tests in the exact same subject.

By K516 (K516) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

ok, thank you for the input slc bug

By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 01:11 am: Edit

Yes, Lit and Writing are considered different subjects to Cornell...I e-mailed them to make sure.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page