Chances at Princeton...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances at Princeton...
By turtleFace on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 04:18 pm: Edit

This is me at top. Below the dotted line is my friend. What are our chances?

SAT I: 780 M, 710 V
SAT II: 790 M2C, 770 Writing, 720 Bio-M
GPA (weighted normally): 4.33 freshman year (2 honors math classes), 3.5 sophmore year (a C in AP chem first semester), 4.6 junior year (3 AP classes), comes to a grand total of about 4.2

I have completed 6 AP classes total so far. I am taking 2 this year. I got a 5 on calc BC and a 4 on Bio and 4 on macro econ (do i list these 4's for ivy schools?)

At UC Berkeley:
Multivariable calculus: A-
Linear Algebra and Differential Equations: A

AMC 12: 109
AIME: 2

National Merist Semifinalist

ECs:
ranked for tennis in northern california
#1 on tennis team, captain
computer analysis club, cofounder
research assistant to a UC Berkeley professor

I am applying to top schools without much of a chance of getting in (because of my C in chem): princeton, yale, MIT (deferred), dartmouth, others.

what do you think my chances are?

------------------------------------------------

applicant #2, my friend

SAT I: 800M/700V
SAT II: 800M2c/800 writing/800 physics
rank 10/300 at the toughest boarding school in US
At UC Berkeley over summer:
Multivariable Calculus: A+
Linear Algebra: A+

AMC 12: 127
AIME: 3

AP: 5 on BC, 5 on Mechanics

Ntl Merist semifinalist
The Caltech Signature Award (for demonstrating creativity or innovation in the fields of mathematics and/or the sciences)
3rd Place National French Exam Level 2A 2001
Cum Laude Society
School's Calculus Award

ECs:
Varsity track
varsity soccer
varsity cross-country
varsity math club
piano
guitar

He was deferred by harvard. he is applying to princeton and such. what are his chances? what are my chances? thank you!

By E-community on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Sorry Turtleface, but your chances are not good. To begin with, a 1490 on the SAT I is considered below average to an admissions officer at an Ivy League College! A score of 1500-1600 is a GIVEN! Your SAT II scores are also average. Retake them to get closer to an 800. In addition, being a national merit semifinalist means •••••••• to them! Finally, you do not have any community service hours, few extra curricular activities, and sub par leadership positions. Enroll at a community college.

Concerning your friend, he has a slightly better chance. His SAT I is closer to perfection, he has 3 perfect SAT II scores, he excelled in a challenging math course, and did not earn a C. However, he has limited extra curricular participation, no community service, and no worthwhile leadership positions. Advise him to enroll at less competitive college.

By vp on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 04:52 pm: Edit

OH shut up e-community.... like there is a hell of a difference between 1490 and 1500 anyway...ok first of all..see...ur admission depends way too much on ur essay to tell anything lookin at princton's policy u have a Slight edge cuz ur scores are more balanced..princeton looks at verbal and maths seperately
Honestly..dont bother with statistics..they really make no sense at alll.....esp for princeton...

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 05:52 pm: Edit

turtleface, dont listen to that dumb •••• "e-community"....i think u have a pretty good chance at princeton, or at least one ivy. same /w ur friend.

By E-qualitys lost father on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 06:11 pm: Edit

is E-Community the same person as E-quality?

By malicio on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 08:06 pm: Edit

E-community whats up with u advising people to enroll at community college? suddenly community college is for people who dont make 1500s? what the •••• is that about? get real! i mean you have to be either really dumb or really lazy for anyone to go to community college! that •••• pisses me off! turtleface if you dont get in, try another good college. e-community probably goes to community college so thats why he recommends it. he probably got a 440 sat and has like 5 kids and is 19. thats why he goes to community college. he spends 40/wk at mcdonalds trying to pay for his roach hole! go to hell e-communtiy

By hello on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

yeah e-community i dont know what world you're living in-you couldn't be more wrong!! A girl from my school got into Columbia with only a 1330!! She wrote great essays, had a 97 avg, and great ec's-this just shows you that the SAT is NOT everything!

By pton on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 04:00 am: Edit

any useful responses?

By Daryl Sams on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 04:15 am: Edit

Chances? I'd say you have a shot, you've both earned a spot on the HYP dice. A lot of what will make the difference will be the strength of your respective recs and essays; strong/exceptional will weight the dice in your favor. I do have something of a soft spot for math; I loved it as a child and was advanced, but was held back by a conservative elementary school administration; I ultimately took BC Calc in 11th grade and stopped there, turned off of the subject without any of the events/awards/qualifying scores you talk about. However, if you can match those lopsided math skills with equal verbal ability, I'd like to think there'll be spots for both of you at highly (i.e. 20% admitted or less) selective colleges. Can you give me more inforation about the relative strength of those math scores? And are you getting recruited/a potential walk-on (that the coach knows about)?

By q on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 02:35 pm: Edit

1500 is given? PLEASE!! What it can really come down to is an essay. People have written terrible, non- personal essays with great academics and been rejected. Essays mean a lot. Anything above 1400 is FINE!

By bump on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 12:02 am: Edit

bump

By bumpster on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 03:25 am: Edit

do the bump!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page