Applications that don't mean much

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Applications that don't mean much
By LOTR fan on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Especially to schools like Princeton, Harvard, Stanford

Name: Zhang Wang
Ethnicity: Chinese American
GPA: 4.8 UW, 4.00 W
SAT's: 1600
SAT II's: all 800's,
AP's: All 5's
Sports: Tennis, soccer(Or basketball captain)
Other EC's: President of national honor society, chess club member, future doctors/lawyers/businessman of america, national AP scholar, Math/Science olympiad winner, ASB president, Key club president, Interact president.
Parental background: Son of either prominent and successful business people or doctor,lawyer, accountant, pharmacist.
Special talent: Computer hacking, fluent in 95894358349589 Chinese dialects

Name: Ravi Chandrasekhar
Ethnicity: Asian Indian
GPA: 4.874837438478 UW, 4.00 W
SAT's I and II: All perfect 800 avg.
AP's: All 5's
Sports: Tennis all stater
EC's: All of the above of the first applicant and more
Parental background: Son of two cardio- surgeons.

Funny thing is I've seen many Chinese and Indian applicants with these status resumes get rejected from those schools. Sad to say but they got jipped.

By umm on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 03:16 pm: Edit

ummm....i dont think i belive them only..maybe theyjust become arrogant and it shows thro in the answers they give or something...its just hard to belive otherwise...

By Burberry (Burberry) on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 04:49 pm: Edit

no, some of them just lack creativity and it shows thru essays/interview. it's when you're asian and have stats like these that you have to show you're better than all the numbers; ie, an old friend of mine had stats like "zhang whang" but his essays/interview stood out.

By vp on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 04:56 pm: Edit

hey i like burburry ( the perfume i mean ) anyway... well im asian too...an indian gal applyiin..hope they dont go so hard onme..as far as creativity i dont hink im very lacking...but dunno how good i am

By moneytoburn on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 01:02 am: Edit

Burberry..is clothing..Burberrys London, I have a sweater cost me a fortune.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 01:06 am: Edit

burberry also makes purses, watches, jewelrey, (clothing), and (perfume).
oh, and i also happen to own an umbrella.

moneytoburn, how much did that beautiful sweater cost you?

and vp, is it burberry weekend (women) perfume?

By White boy on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 01:10 am: Edit

WAIT UP.....why should these types of applicants have to show extraordinary creativity in their essays when their academics are awesome. Elite colleges often say that they can overlook moderate academics if a student is especially gifted in a certain field or brings something new to the school (ahem ahem if they're black ahem ahem), so why can't a school overlook an applicant who may appear to be "boring" if they're GENIUSES when it comes to academics? It's so racist that admissions committees see someone with a chinese (or white, but especially chinese) name, and disregard him as jus another smart asian kid who won't bring anything new to stanford. By the way, I'm white.

By Such a shame on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Exactly, colleges really are afraid of Chinese kids now. Studies show that if AA was abolished, Chinese students at Ivy Leagues or any other top school would increase. Harvard would probably be 42% Asian if AA were abolished. Same with other ivy leagues and top par schools like MIT and Stanford. I mean look at the UC's, especially the top ones like Berkeley and LA. If you went there, you'd feel like you were living in China. Many of them probably qualified for Ivy schools, just AA working against Chinese kids.

By DB on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Hey lets cut other ex-internationals some slack. You cant just say that its only asians. Add Europeans to the mix too--we work our ass off just as you do...

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 12:46 am: Edit

c, the "boring" kids cant have their boringness be overlooked although they have great scores because there are so many of these people. to clarify: there are lots and lots of asians w/ perfect everything, and alot of ppl in general w/ perfect everything, and how do u distinguish between these ppl? w/ their essays. Someone with perfects and a boring essay will prob be overlooked for some1 with around 1400-1500(which is still great) and awesome essays

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page