Is everyone really THAT stressed?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Is everyone really THAT stressed?
By Yellowcard05 (Yellowcard05) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

I have read soooo many posts on this website about how all these super-achievers with their 1580s are certain they won't get into college. Do all these MENSA candidates really think they are screwed? I'm a little confused because I thought I was doing okay with my stats (I originally thought I was pretty damn cool with my 790 writing SAT II score until I came on here and saw that like 50, 000,000 other kids had 800s) but they are pretty mediocre in comparison.

And another thing, is anyone else feeling like they will be fine whether they go to State U or Harvard? I'm applying to some very competitve schools (no Ivies, though) but I'm not really that stressed about it. My mother, on the other hand, is up half the night worrying. Anyone feeling the same way?

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

I have exactly a 1580, and I applied ED to Columbia. I admit that I constantly worry about my chances because I've worked too hard in high school to end up in a state university.

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

aww poor baby. God forbid you won't go Ivy.

By Glamourbaby19 (Glamourbaby19) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Well, I am worrying like hell that I won't get in to the schools I want to because I didn't apply ED. I have to wait nearly 5 MONTHS for my skinny envelopes...

By Yellowcard05 (Yellowcard05) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

I guess I just feel like it's going to work out how it works out...I've done everything I can and they don't accept me then the hell with 'em. But I understand your take on state schools, Soulofheaven8, I know a lot of people (including myself at times) that feel the same way.

By Kone (Kone) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

And you wonder why senior year is the "big party year" with free-flowing alcohol. It's to overcome the stress of having to deal with college apps and pulling out your hair waiting for responses. After you've sent the apps in, there's really nothing you can do except stay on top of your classes and not getting arrested. Whether some schmuck at Stanford or Harvard's adm-off finds you "worthy" of admission is up to him/her, not you. If you get denied, have the attitude, "it's their loss ... when I'm getting my Nobel Prize or running a multi-billion dollar, multi-national conglomerate, they're going to wonder why they didn't accept me out of high school."

By Elgorila (Elgorila) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

"I've worked too hard in high school to end up in a state university."

That's how I feel too.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

haha.

In one word: YES
then again i have a 1330 sat and 3.5 gpa and other stuff along those lines so i have a reason to be stressed.

I dont know why all u "Harvard Hopefuls" that have perfect stats AND discovered a 'patent-pending' cure for cancer during ur free time are stressed though...

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Im increadibly upset because ive worked so hard all these years, and because of my LOW SAT, i dont think i can even get into a state school. its ridiculouse how much weight is put into such an unfair and biased test

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 09:04 am: Edit

most of the people on this board are college-obsessed, over achievers with incredible stats. it tends to amplify one's perception of the overall strength of the applicant pool.

By Frappucinogrl (Frappucinogrl) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 11:07 am: Edit

Bill Gates & Tiger Woods dropped out of top universities, and they're still very successful. It's not where you go, it's what you do with your education. Remember that most people DON'T go to Harvard or Stanford, and they still lead decent lives. Just HAVING a college education puts you at an advantage over so many other people.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 11:48 am: Edit

but going to stanford or harvard for all 4 years can help you grow more as a person. like what i said in my other post, i could tell which of my teachers graduated from harvard and which graduated from only a state univ. the harvard-educated one is much more sophisticated, eloquent, refined, and has such a prominent presence. you grow more because you're constantly exposed to very smart and interesting people.

By Yellowcard05 (Yellowcard05) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Ha. It's acutally just the opposite at my school. One of best teachers went to UNH and one of the WORST went to an Ivy League. I agree wholeheartedly with Frappucinogrl. Granted you're probably going to get more diversity at Stanford than at State U, which may broaden your horizons but other than that it's up to you to make the difference. It all comes down to self motivation.

But that's just my 2 cents (again).

By Richitalwar79 (Richitalwar79) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

yea I definately worked my buttt off in high school...I can't just end up at a state University....but SATs are just not working for me. Doesn't it suck when you have almost everything else but just one thing brings you down???? AHHHH

By Peterkitts (Peterkitts) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

I completely agree with you. It really is NOT fair how one test can completely shatter 4 years of hard work. It's like your entire life, you've been hoping to get into that dream school and then this one test can just completely screw you over. RIDICULOUS! I understand how there are some people who while they have good test scores, grades, and ecs deserve to get in, but come on, really, it just is not fair. I hope that while these admissions officers peruse through these apps, they really look at the ENTIRE person and not just the scores. Best of luck to all! Oh by the way, I'm heavily anticipating the rejection letter from Yale in less than 3 weeks! Yahoo! The joy and rapture is just overflowing!

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

well I am super super super stressed. you can tell because a) I NEVER get acne, and now I have a pimple on my forehead, and b) I am ALWAYS on MSN, and I haven't so much as logged on in three weeks. and finally c) well, I'm here, aren't I?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page