Will I get in?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Will I get in?
By College on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Junior

+ High GPA- 3.8/4.0 (top 5%)
+ AP Exams:
Spanish Language- 5
Spanish Literature- 5
French Language 5
French Literature- 5
German 5
US History 5
US Government 5
World History - 4
Comparative Government- 5
Calculus AB - 5
+ 312 hours of community service (Key Club, Cope)
+ Actively participated in extra curricular clubs: Foreign Language Club, Math League, Science League, Yearbook
+ Talented Pianist- 9.5 years of classical training- played for the choir at all concerts (2 years), a member of the Jazz combo (2 years), and auditioned and won the seat of first pianist at the Junior and Senior Jazz Districts.
+ Took twelve classes through Dual Enrollment at a local community College
+ 1580 on SAT I
+ 800 on Math IIC, Spanish with Listening, French with Listening, German, Physics, Chemistry, US History, Literature
+ Successfully mastered Algebra I and Algebra II over the summer with a personal tutor. I took Basic Algebra my Freshman year and was disgusted that the most I could graduate with would be Algebra II. My High School would not allow me to move on to a higher math course despite recommendation from my tutor. However, a local community college willingly permitted me to take pre-calculus through the dual enrollment program. Thus, I am now in Calculus 2.
+ I also learned French and German over a period of three years without any aid. Learning a language was not as challenging as Algebra I. Math used to be a great struggle for me.

Am I a candidate for an Ivy League school even though I hold no leadership positions?

Thanks

By theman on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 05:53 pm: Edit

yes, you have a 75% chance at the "lesser ivies" like Cornell, Dartmouth and UPenn and a very good shot at Harvard, Yale and Princeton.

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 09:42 pm: Edit

yea...u'll get into at least one ivy league school...8 800's on SAT II's DAMN!!

By ha on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 09:51 pm: Edit

this kid's lying. wtf is your problem, college. my gaydar is in red alert once again.

By Dumbuket (Dumbuket) on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 09:54 pm: Edit

I'd say you have a 57.38 percent chance at Cornel, a 48.62 percent chance at Dartmouth, a...

For god's sake, how can you be so quantitative, theman?

College, you've got some genuinely interesting stuff going on. Unique, I'd actually say. While Ivy League admission is all a big cosmic craps game, you look like you have something interesting to offer those schools, which puts you significantly ahead of the game. Obviously, make sure you address your talents and perhaps explain why you've done so much with foreign languages, and you could go far. That's assuming this isn't all a lot of BS or somebody's idea of a stupid joke.

By Seeker on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 07:14 pm: Edit

bumper

By me on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 09:04 pm: Edit

he has a no chance...considering he doesn't have a writing sat ii score.

By DB on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 09:14 pm: Edit

lol me...

In reality, if this person did exist, hed prob be rejected from all ivies because he would be an overacheiver..

By Bea420 on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Why don't you run for an office in Key Club since you're already so involved with it? You seem like a gifted student who would be a good candidate for any university.

By Piecezofyou (Piecezofyou) on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 12:17 am: Edit

ima sophmore in highschool and my freshman year grades werent so hot (i dont like C's). But anywayz Ive always dreamed of going 2 NYU..so far my sophmore year is going good..im takin higher classes and getting good grades. I have alot of EC's and do alot of tutoring plus im in cheerleading so what else would be good that i can do in the future to get a good chance 2 go 2 NYU?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page