English/Journalism inclined. Hoping for Feedback :]

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: English/Journalism inclined. Hoping for Feedback :]
By Summerscent (Summerscent) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

I can't believe I'm even doing this, but I'm clueless about the college application process and would like some feedback. I'm going to major in English/journalism, and I'm weak in math. The 3 B's on my transcript are from math and science; my AP scores are weak also--my school doesn't offer many AP courses. I have nice rec letters from my English teacher and journalism advisor and about 350 hours of volunteer work from the library, hospital, Key Club.

GPA: 4.68/5.0 weighted
SAT: V: 800, retook for M: 800
SATII: writing-740, lit-730, math2c-720
AP: Euro History: 4, Physics BC: 3, US History: 4
IB Full Diploma Candidate

It feels creepy putting my entire high school life on here.. but my top 5 would be:
1. editor-in-chief of school paper (11-12) and founded a club for journalism
2. President of Red Cross Club
3. National Merit Semifinalist
4. Knowledge Masters and Academic Decathlon
5. an editor for the school’s literary magazine (10-12).

I know there are thousands of people with numbers/activities better than mine and even valedictorians/4.0s aren’t always accepted. I’m applying to schools almost every Californian does—UCs, USC, etc—but I’m looking at Columbia, Stanford, Princeton and wondering if I should even try and apply or if I’m just wasting my time.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page