Dual Citizenship?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Dual Citizenship?
By Glamourbaby19 (Glamourbaby19) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

If I am a dual citizen (UK and US), will that make any difference in the admissions process? It's kind of a non-issue because I have not yet found a place on any application (out of 6 different ones) that you could put this, but might it help?

By Sillygilly (Sillygilly) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

i think so. Haven't you seen the parts on your applications where it asks for your citizenship? That's even on the common app. The point is that schools want diversity of background. Where have you lived? Here or there?

By Mnm86 (Mnm86) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

i am also a dual citizen, and i just wrote in in. i checked the us citizen box, but then wrote dual - USA-France next to it. no matter where you've lived...i think it does contribute to diversity of background. and while it won't make or break your application, it could make it a little more interesting

By Bing04 (Bing04) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

i knew a kid who had tri-citizenship( he was born in england, his parents were us citizens and his mom was born in ireland) and he still didnt get into princeton...it dosent make a difference i think.

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

If just his mother was born in Ireland, I don't think that gives him citizenship there.

By Glamourbaby19 (Glamourbaby19) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the info.I'll try and put it on the apps anyway. Um...I live in the US and always have, except for a few three-month stints here and there. And I think Ireland is the same as the UK: you can be a dual citizen even if only one of your parents were born there.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

actually commenting on fallentear04's comment many countries in Europe give you citizenship if one of your parents is a citizen. I was born in Mexico and my father is Swiss and I was given Swiss citizenship

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

That's nifty.. learn something new everyday.

Excuse my ignorance; I blame my environment ;)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page