college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
Chances for Harvard? Come judge :)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Chances for Harvard? Come judge :)
By Euphoricshade (Euphoricshade) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

I'm a Chinese girl, bilingual, from PA

SAT I: 1590 (790 math, how pissed was i?)
SAT II: 790Writing, 800 math II, 750 physics
GPA: 4.0 unweighted
Ranked 1/689

I"ve taked 5 AP classes: US history, Physics B, Calculas AB, English Language, and Statistics and have gotten a 5 on all of them.

Senior Year Courses:
AP English Lit
AP Bio
AP Chem
AP Computer Science (JAVA)
AP European History
Honors Spanish 3
(so far, all A's except in Java since i've never taken a computer course in my life :-P )

Extra curriculars:
NHS member
President of Philosophy
Gay-Straight Alliance Member
VP of the Asian Awareness Club
Tutored since 9th grade consistently
Volunteered at the Thomas Merton Center of social justice
Interned as a translator for a Steel Co for a week
Teaching Aide all junior year for a 5th grade class
Former Art editor of the literary magazine
National Young Leaders Convention in D.C.

Awards:
National Merit Scholar
AP Scholar with Merit
GOld Cup in piano competitions
Who's who among Highschool Students
Semi-finalist for the PA gov school for visual arts
Nominated for Outstanding Young Citizen
and some other smaller ones

Other perks: I've lived in Thailand, as well as china and I'm extremely well travelled and multi-cultured.

on the downside: My essays were pretty weak.

I hate putting my life on paper, but there it is. What do you think?

By Almostdead (Almostdead) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Take out the Who's Who, revise your essays (hmm... reply if you want me to proofread it -- rare offer ;))... and you look like you have a decent shot. =)
(the award section is slightly weak... so... you really need to make your personality shine...)

just wondering, why aren't you taking a math class right now?

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

I don't believe you can be a National Merit Scholar until after a) you have been designated national merit finalist and b) you have enrolled in a school that gives scholarships to national merit finalists, which i don't believe harvard does. I'm assuming you're a semifinalist? I also don't know why i stopped capitalizing about 1/4 of the way through this. You have a very good chance. Your stats are slightly higher than mine, i'm also applying. good luck. :)

By Serdu (Serdu) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

Its not that you are underqualified, but do you know HOW MANY apps HYP gets with people who have #'s exactly like yours? Well, many to say the least. Its REALLY the EC's, Awards, Rec's, and essays that will make or break you. But congrats, there is not much better you could have done in terms of academics. Are you going to RD or did you do EA?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page