Stanford EA - f/GA/1530/chinese (thanks)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Stanford EA - f/GA/1530/chinese (thanks)
By Gracie (Gracie) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

[background]
chinese, f, Atlanta, 16 yrs old, engineering major

[SATs]
Verbal: 740
Math: 790
Writing: 740
Math IIc: 750
Physics: 780

[A.P.s]

//senior year courses
calculus bc
literature
computer science JAVA
chemistry
economics

//already tested
physics 4
statistics 5
world history 5
language 4
us history 4

[grades]
weighted GPA: 4.36 / 5.0 (+1.0 for APís, none for Hís)
Ranked 12 of 310 students

[extracurriculars]
//piano - full scholarship to UGAís piano camp. local and state awards. submitted chopinís fantasie impromptu and a Mozart sonata on tape. help founded piano club at school.
//math team - vp junior year. secr sophomore.
//beta club - vp jr yr.
//academic bowl Ė founded club
//future business leaders of America Ė sec jr yr.

[awards]
2 national essay contest
national merit semi
GA certificate of merit
piano stuff
uhmmmÖ nothing exciting

[camps]
advanced computer programming in C++ @ WKU
emory natl debate institute
UGA piano camp

recís arenít brilliant but arenít mediocre either. answered essays in unique POV and voice, but about common topics Ė music/special stuffed animal/camera and technology.

could you analyze my chances for Stanford (my #1), berkeley, ucla, mit, northwestern, columbia (or at least the California schools)

appreciate it

By Gracie (Gracie) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

additional questions:
1) may i consider ucla and berkeley as backups?

2) does being a girl and applying for engineering help chances (for stanford and berkeley)?

3) does being asian detract from my chances?

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Berkeley and UCLA are evil when it comes to accepting out of state students (although I guess that makes sense since they are paid for by th epeople of California). I wouldnt consider them backups, but you have very strong chances at them

By Qwerasdf (Qwerasdf) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Berkeley and UCLA. You're in. Then again I'm a Californian talking about it.

BTW, I'm asian too, and you know how it is in the Bay Area where people get their 5.0s by taking 5 billion APs + Honors.

You should have a pretty good chance at Stanford. You've taken piano further than I have, you have better SATs, better GPA. I'm puttiny my Berkeley and UCLA chances at 50/50.

Here, maybe these charts will help.

Stanford is really anal about accepting Californians, especially ones that only live 20 minutes away and considering our school is like 60% Asian... So don't be disappointed.

Acceptance Data:

Stanford: http://www.mvhs.fuhsd.org/careercenter/scatter/stanford.html
UCLA: http://www.mvhs.fuhsd.org/careercenter/scatter/ucla.html
UCB: http://www.mvhs.fuhsd.org/careercenter/scatter/ucberkeley.html

By Sac (Sac) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Being female and in engineering might help you at Stanford. I've heard it does at MIT. Berkeley engineering is very tough, especially for out of state. It might even be harder to get into for you than Stanford, but in any case is definitely not backup. UCLA is only minimally easier.
Since you seem interested in California schools, but don't have the advantage of being a California resident, have you considered CalTech? Harvey Mudd? I'd guess being female would help both those places. Depending on the type of engineering, other UCs that are a little easier to get into are Davis and Irvine.

By Gracie (Gracie) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

thanks for the input everybody

and what would they consider as "outsanding talent"? for piano, am i avg/below/slightly above most other other applicants (for stanford)? and would the recording actually give me an edge or is it more to verify that i did do piano as a EC?

By Gracie (Gracie) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:38 pm: Edit

any ideas to music question?

By Sac (Sac) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

I don't think it's to verify that you did do piano. A recording is optional and they are trying to make clear they don't expect or want one from everyone who plays an instrument. On the other hand, there's no need for you to be modest given that you state you've won awards. It should help you, especially if piano is really a part of your life and you would like to continue it at Stanford. Stanford doesn't get a lot of people going there for music, so I don't think you'll be judged against a lot people who might otherwise go to a conservatory.

By Qwerasdf (Qwerasdf) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Caltech is not that great as an engineering school.

I would consider Harvey Mudd. I'm applying there. Its so much better than caltech. Its not just a 100% nerd school, as it is next to the Claremont colleges.

By Gracie (Gracie) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

thank you sac and qwerasdf

sac > you seem very knowledgeable - i was just wondering what your background is? a fellow applicant who has done a loooot of research? or a professional college prep coach?

qwerasdf > i'm looking up harvey mudd right this second ;)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page