Need some expert to evaluate my chances at MIT and Yale plea

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Need some expert to evaluate my chances at MIT and Yale plea
By Yaleman (Yaleman) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Hey everybody,
I am a German student and applying for Yale and MIT. Can anyone tell me what my realistic chances are... I am not that familiar with what the colleges are really looking for and can't really tell if I with my my stats am competative:

SAT I: 670 math 680 verbal ( I'm not a native speaker and have just taken the test once; does anyone know if the colleges take into account that we are not used to standardized tests?)

SAT II: Physics: 780
Math IIc:730
Writing: 670
Toefl: 297 (out of 300)
I spent one year in the US with a full scholarship by the US Congress. During that year I took AP Calculus BC and English Lit./Comp.

Calc: 5
Engl: 4

My Abitur grade (GPA) is very good (among top 5% percent of Germany's graduating class).

I speak English and German fluently. I also speak French and Spanish and had 7 years of Latin.
I have some ECs (German schools don't really offer those). I did a 8 week EMT training and worked as one during my civilian year. I have been playing tennis for about 8 years. Won some tournaments while I was in the US and I am playing for a German team at a tennis club.
One year of civilian service. And very good recommendations.
Do you think thats going to help me out with my pretty low SAT Is?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Philip

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Your IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

I believe that would be "You're in," with an apostophe. Nobody likes bad punctuation. However, I agree, "You're in."

By Haithman (Haithman) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

he's in that easily??

By Tout (Tout) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Find out if you can substitute your TOEFL, I believe it can replace your Writing and Verbal? Not sure though...

I strongly disagree with the people who are saying "Your IN!!!!" First of all, the mistake in the phrase itself is probably indicative of the reliability of that assessment.

Even if you are able to ignore your verbal and writing, your math is still on the low side for MIT and Yale, and there is no excuse for that since math is the universal language. I'm not familiar with the nature of your US Congress scholarship, but if it is indeed as prestigious as it seems, that will be a definite plus.

Your grades are decent, and as you said, your extra curriculars are somewhat below par, though that is not necessarily your fault.

You have to realize that as an international student, getting admission to those colleges is going to be a lot harder than if you were an American citizen. From Canada for example, one of the top colleges (I forget which) admitted 20 students last year. So think about that - is your application going to make you stand out as one of the top 50 or so students applying from your country?

Don't let any assessment make you overconfident or deter you, however. Work very hard, and good things might happen.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

he got a 5 on the bc calc exam, im sure his math is just fine, sat math is like bs math, they just try to trick you and crap, easy to make many mistakes, especially if you're not that familiar with the exam. ah, philip, es tut mir leid wegen den SAT 1, aber ich hoffe dass du bei MIT acceptiert wirst, du hasst viele sachen gemacht hmmm, mein deutsch ist schlecht, haha

By Yaleman (Yaleman) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:44 am: Edit

Hey MITwannabe who comes that you speak German that well? You only made one mistake: "akzeptiert" lol. Well, thanks everyone for your assessements. I know that the competition is way harder for international students. I think I got another plus with my essays though: I said that I worked as an EMT and wrote about an incident where we had to reanimate a man who had had a heart attack and who the team complimented each other to safe this man's and how that incident chanded my view on the world. And well, the Congress scholarship is pretty prestigious. Some 10000 students applied in Germany and only 600 got one. So I guess the competition was pretty tough there.
Anyways could I get some more thoughts about my chances? Oh by the way I might add that I am already going to University in Germany (University of Aachen) which is among the best enigneering schools of Europe. I'm applying for the American ones because I would rather study there. So I mean if I don't get in it wouldn't hurt me too bad!

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:15 pm: Edit

yaleman, if you want a better idea of your chances, you have to find someone who got into those schools from germany..
they rate people from different places differently

By Wiltonzxs (Wiltonzxs) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:27 am: Edit

indeed, the congress sholarship is one of your chance, but what about your circular activities? your maths is low for MIT, i recommend you retake SATI, and II math, coz for MIT, full marks on your transcript would be helpful, otherwise its just an average, i dont know everyone here heared about harvard rejected 10+ full mark students every year, because they dont qualified the requirements which including leadership potential, activity, community service and your personal essay, and recommendations. so good luck

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page