To those who received 800s on Math IIC....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: To those who received 800s on Math IIC....
By SammyB on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 05:21 pm: Edit

I posted this on the SAT prep board too but I figure it can't hurt to post it here too.. What test prep book did you use (if any) for the IICs and how long (if at all) did you study? Any tips? Thanks!!

By E-share on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I did not use a test prep book. A person who is destined for an Ivy League school learns with the course and does not procrastinate.

By q on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Kiss my ace E-share. Sammy, I didn't use a prep book either but I am certainly not destined for an Ivy League school. The only two highly selective schools on my list are Caltech and Berkeley, and I probably won't be accepted to any of them. Getting an 800 IIC doesn't mean a thing,

By barron on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 06:45 pm: Edit

It's easier to get an 800 on IIC than on SAT I math section. When are you going to take the test? Using a prep book is not a bad idea, just try those practice tests out. I would recommend Barron's because it's closest to the actual test. However, be aware that many prep books (including Barron's) have TONS OF ERRORS in them.

By adam on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Yeah really... just do a practice test online to get a feel for what they will ask. I didn't study or anything, but then again, I'm really good at math...

By columbia on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:10 pm: Edit

uhhh baron's sucks ass.. it is so far away from the real test.. there questions are vague and based upon the material they discuss and are not similar to questions from real test... please stay away from them.

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:16 pm: Edit

princeton review is def the closest to the test. or u can try Real SAT II's, but those tests generally tend to be one's takin from the easier administrations

By ag on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

So I think it's better to practice with harder problems.

By sinbushar on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

just familiarize yourself with the test...if you're competent in math you should do fine..you'll know how you did when you're done....just chill...and don't rely too heavily on review books...just my opine

By ok on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:44 pm: Edit

bring a ti-89, it solves simple algebra and calculus

By Mathnerd on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Dont use graphing calculator as the questions aren't worth the waste of time with a graphing calculator. Join a math club and compete in it. Work on national competitions like the amc-12, and ASMA, etc.The test is mostly stuff u'd learn in a good algebta 2 course to possibly the first sememester of pre-calc, so take the classes

By david on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 08:20 pm: Edit

its much harder to get 800 on sat 1 than math 2c

on sat 1 you miss 1 question and drop to 780 if your really lucky maybe get 800 usually 780 or 790.

on sat2 you can miss as many as 6 or 7 and still get perfect.....

By hehe on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 08:59 pm: Edit

david you're right. I missed 1 problem on sat I and still got 800. Probably that was the experimental part or something?

By MIT Mom on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 09:11 pm: Edit

I highly recommend the Princeton Review SAT II prep book for IIC, along with the 10 Real SAT II Tests.

You can get about 8 questions wrong on IIC and still get an 800. The percentile of an 800 score on the IIC is approx 92%.

Take the IIC before you start Calculus (right after finishing PreCalc.)

By Sam on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone for your help... I'm not sure when I want to take the test (but definitely not in January) I'm pretty good in math but I have the tendency to make silly mistakes when under time constraints... Anyway, thanks for all your advice... I'll be sure to use it :)

By hmph on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 09:19 am: Edit

umm i used barrons....and i swear i found that hte real thing was so easy. But while using barrons u must be damn careful not to get discouraged. IT can be wrong, and way more difficult than the real thing. Plus its really hard to finish the barrons one on time..while the real thign can be finished with ease.

By Meg B on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Definitely, definitely don't touch Barron's. It is way harder than the actual thing, and its answers are incomprehensible. I agree with those who recommended the Princeton Review. I would also suggest going over any practice questions you miss with the nearest friendly math teacher. Hope that helps!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page