HELP A FOREIGN STUDENT !!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: HELP A FOREIGN STUDENT !!
By Sidis (Sidis) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Hey what about my chances? Williams is definitively my #1 choice, I'd kill to go there! Can you tell me what other colleges would be good fits?

Should I even bother?

Foreign student from Ecuador (Never lived in the US)

Toefl (expected) : 270+

Expected SAT II scores:
Math IIC: 800-750
Physics: 800-750
Math IC: 780-730

Class Rank: top 25% (as of senior year, we don't have GPA here)

IB candidate, expected HL scores (besides SL tests)

Physics: 6-7
History: 6-7
Literature: 6
Total expected score: 39-41

Hardest courses on my high school (among the most competitive in my country)

ECs:

Self Taught english
Learning German By Myself
School's Newspaper Editor (2 years)
School's Newspaper Designer (1 year)
Classic Guitar (2 years, talented player)
Comic Drawing (Sold self-made comics)
40+ hours community service
Model United Nations
National Essay Constest (didn't win anyway)
National Speech Contest (7th)
City Speech Contest (2nd)
School's mascot designer
School's Christmas postal contest (won)

Recommendations will be very good, from my Physics teacher, my guitar teacher, and my Math teacher (IB coordinator)

Essay, hopefully good

THanks

By Piquant77 (Piquant77) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:11 am: Edit

I'm an int'l in the IB too :) I'd say you might want to consider retaking the SAT I's, although a 1340 is fine to get into slightly less competitive schools. Also, don't take both Math IC and Math IIC, esp. if you're expecting a lower score on I. Its unnecessary.

By Sidis (Sidis) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

but then what subject?? I don't thinks I would do well on the Writing test... I would screw it.

No time to take another SAT. Just had one chance and like a month of study... I had to learn SO much english for that lame test!! (it helped my language skills though lol!) Do you think I have a shot at Williams ??

thanks

By Polly (Polly) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

How amazing you got over 1300 on SATI and 260 on TOEFL without even actually living in the US...

By Greenlight (Greenlight) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

hey i guess u gotta take SAT2 writing for williams

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:32 am: Edit

i agree, dont bother taking math 1 AND 2.. you need writing for most schools, if you REALLY dont want to take writing, take some easy test like biology or something..

if you've already registered for the SAT2, you can change what subjects you want to take, even on the test day

By Sidis (Sidis) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:59 am: Edit

yeah... english words were the biggest problem with my SATs but I'm still learning it. (I even had to work on math vocabulary!).

I guess I have to make up my mind about the writing test... I just saw how it was and realized that I would make a lot of mistakes on the sentence correction part... How harsh is the curve?

About the colleges, I know I dont have a good chance at Williams but I'm still dreaming about it (I sooo want to go there). I applying to Trinity College CT, Grinnel, Maccalester and Skidmore. Do I have a chance at these?

Thanks for all the help!!

By Greenlight (Greenlight) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

i did badly for writing 660(oh and the identifying sentences part pulled me down real down..i only got 2 errors for the other section!)
and i'm in the 68th percentile...doing it again in dec.

By Greenlight (Greenlight) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

hey Sidis u might want to look at middlebury..its quite rural though

from their website:
: What is Middlebury's policy regarding the International Baccalaureate?

A: Middlebury welcomes applicants from IB schools, and has found them to be very well prepared for our liberal arts curriculum. Students who have completed the full IB Diploma with a total of 36 or more points, including at least three higher level grades of 6, or 7 are eligible for sophomore standing. Students having fewer than 36 points, or fewer than three scores of 6 or higher may receive two course credits for each higher level examination passed with a score of 6, or 7. No credit is awarded for standard level exams.

What is Middlebury's financial aid policy with respect to international students?

A: Financial assistance at Middlebury is based entirely on a student's demonstrated need, and is awarded to international students on the same basis as it is to U.S. citizens. Middlebury does not offer additional merit or special talent scholarships.

Because all admissions decisions are made on a "need-blind" basis, and because we do meet the full level of need that we determine, the College believes that any student admitted to Middlebury will be able to attend.

hope this helps :)

By Sidis (Sidis) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 11:12 am: Edit

Cool! that's a nice college! I just checked the campus and it looks nice; the rural settings don't bother me (dude I come from the country!) and I would like a quiet, quasi-intellectual place with nature around to dedicate to arts. What is the mean SAT there? How is the social environment?

Thanks!!

By Layne (Layne) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Hey!
I'm from Nepal and a couple of my seniors are in Williams.
The first one had AMAZING scores (SAT I 1560, SAT IIs 800/800/800/800, TOEFL 300....).
The other one, however, had mediocre scores (SAT I in the 1300s, SAT IIs in the mid-700s...etc.)
They both got sufficient financial aids.
So, don't think you don't have a chance. You do. They say his(second one's) essays and recommendations were great. Make sure yours are equally good too.
And ya, I think you must take SAT II Writing test.
Get the Barron's writing book and thoroughly study it. I don't have a GREAT English but then I got 800 in the Writing test. Make a daily habit of writing some essays and read more.
I think you can do well on the test.

Good luck.

By Sidis (Sidis) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Thanks Layne... I work on my english daily in order to get ready for the Writing test, which seems to be harder than the verbal SAT I !! (I got 620, on a regular- non inspirated day).

I'll be working on what you stated. Specially on my essay (since my recs are ready).

I just hope i become interesting enough for Williams.

thanks again

By Sidis (Sidis) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

bump

By Sidis (Sidis) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

please help me! I'll be sending my apps in about 4 weeks!!

By Lhm501 (Lhm501) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

You got lots of help, what more do you want? Your SATs are low for Williams--you'll have to make it up in your essays & recs--it's a long shot though. Williams has a web site with basic admission info, check it out. There's tons of available info out there on schools similar to Williams, do the research & then you can get more specific and we can too. What other schools is just too open ended.

By Sidis (Sidis) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Ok I searched a bit and this is my list: (in order of likeliness of getting in)

1.Williams
2.Middlebury
3.Swarthmore
4.Grinnel
5.Trinity (CT)
6.Hampshire
7.GVSU (optional, if this is my only choice left, I'll stay in Ecuador)

So, do I have some matches here? (besides Williams, of course)

Thanks!

By Neoproximal (Neoproximal) on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Buena suerte, mi hermano compatriota, que el si se puede te acompanie, que lo que estamos haciendo es lejos para nuestro pais.

y como diria la cancion de pueblo nuevo( que el pueblo por cierto ya olvido), con amor hoy yo quiero cantar si senior, a mi lindo ECUADOR!!!!!!

By Sidis (Sidis) on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 09:07 pm: Edit

buena suerte a ti tambien!!!!!

By Nataliam (Nataliam) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:11 am: Edit

Hello, I need help really bad. I am from Argentina and I am really interested in going to a US college (Im in two minds between Princeton and Williams). I am actually taking some courses of studies here in my country, but I have never heard of any (except for TOEFL) of the exams you mentioned above (SAC...). If any of you could help me I would be very thankful.
Natalia

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page