Dreaming of NYU and USC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Dreaming of NYU and USC
By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:07 am: Edit

Hey guys. I need some advice. I am a student from England

I have never received an exam result lower than a B. I fact all my exam results have been A's with the exception of three B's ;)

I just sat the ACT, and scored a 27... not too bad. (31 in writing)(25 maths)(29 science)(24 reading)

SAT II- writing at 720

I've had three part time jobs in fashion and customer service. Working up to 25 hours a week.

I've spent six months travelling the world and experienced a variety of cultural diversity beyond anything I'd ever imagined or previously experienced.

My activities include scuba diving, sky diving, reading, theatre, photography, public debate, cycling, swimming.

I've received various awards in Junior Citizen competitions, Gym and Dance displays, Science Health Matters research.

I desperately want to study journalism at NYU or USC. Anyone have any views or comments they could provide on my chances, taking into account my qualifications, and the fact that, as an English student, my education has differed greatly from the US standard education.

Thanks guys, any advice would help.

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

There's lots of threads on USC all over CC. Do a search. You could also start with the individual colleges discussion section and look under "U" for University of Southern California. You'll find a very long thread there. I'd also go to the USC website. They have lots of admissions informtion there.

USC has lots of foreign students and is very welcoming to them.

After you read through the other threads, if you have any questions ask away. My son is in his first year at USC.

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Thank you for your advice. I had a good long read around the other posts.

Just curious, but what is your son going to major in at USC?

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

He's in the Film School, a Critical Studies major. He has also decided to double major in history and may take a minor in Spanish.

Let me know if you have any questions. Have you taken your SAT Is? We live in Virginia and most of the students in this part of the US take SAT Is so I can't judge how competitive you are based on your ACT score.

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

My educational system is totally different from the US system. I read up about both tests and just felt the ACT was the right one for me.

According to the ACT results slip my score is in the highest percetile, and the national avegage is 21. But compared to many students on here, a 27 isn't a stunning score, so I'll have to see. According to princetonreview.com USC accepts applicants with ACT scores of 27 upwards, so I'm hopeful.

I'd be interested to hear from any accepted applicants with 27/28 ACT scores.

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

darn, i have a 26...stupid science section, how i loathe thee

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:19 am: Edit

I know that's totally weird, my science beat my reading. Although, really, I guess the two sections are very similar. And I loathe you in advance for the fact that you probabaly have a 33 composite score! :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page