1290 SAT! WHERE CAN I GET IN? FEEDBACK!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: 1290 SAT! WHERE CAN I GET IN? FEEDBACK!
By Navygirl18 (Navygirl18) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 05:30 am: Edit

*taking SAT II only on dec 6... or shld i take sat I again?

*thinking
COLUMBIA,
DUKE,
EMORY,
VANDERBILT
U MICH,
VASSAR
UNI CHICAGO

what do you guys think?
international
GPA B average for O levels
toughest course (A levels)
top ten percent in class of 70

By Financelad (Financelad) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 12:18 pm: Edit

are yOU from the UK ?

By Jase1348 (Jase1348) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 01:28 pm: Edit

rethink that list.. its all reaches

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Hey sounds like you are from UK right? I'm from London. I received Eleven GCSE's::: Three A*s, six A's and two B's at GCSE, and an A and two B's at A Level, and I'm really hoping to attend a top college in the USA. I took the ACT and got a 27. But, to be honest, I don't think the ACT or the SAT are a fair representation of our abilities. I'm hoping my exam results will propel me forward and stand as examples of my knowledge and academic capabilities.

If you are from the UK, where abouts are do you reside?

By Stargzrlilychk (Stargzrlilychk) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 03:54 pm: Edit

i had similar stats and got rejected from vassar, so b sure to include that in your reaches

By Navygirl18 (Navygirl18) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

hey guys thanks for input..
anyway am not frm UK but singapore, but our education system here is UK modeled.

honeymoon: 11 GCSE! wow and ur stats are reaallly good. here we take 7 GCE subjects for the O levels. Are the O levels the same as GCSE?

my A lvl grades will be out only next yr but i doubt i can top urs! but either way, US unis dun really tk A lvls into consideration i think. more so SAT and essays.

By Navygirl18 (Navygirl18) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:46 am: Edit

stargzrlilychk: can u elaborate on the admissions for vassar? do they reject 1290 outright?
for them SAT II are required and if i get really good eng and lit scores but super crappy scores for math will they reject moi? thankss..

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Yeh Navygirl, GCSE's are the same as O Levels, it's just another name for them. I would say colleges in US do take GCSE's and A Level grades into consideration. They are a huge part of international education, and a huge part of our lives. It would be unfair to dismiss them.

my SAT II's were pretty average- 720 writing, 660 literature, maths was a disaster, but ironically, my ACT math score was higher than my reading score!! strange how these things work out.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Please understand: numbers are not everything in U.S. college admissions. Even scoring a 1600 on the SATs doesn't guarantee you admission anywhere. The schools will also look at your extracurricular's, how well you've used your educational opportunities, recommendations, etc.
The schools you are applying to want high SATs PLUS students with that have all of the above. You are applying to some of the most competitive schools in the U.S. Your SATs are on the low side for all of these schools so unless you have something stellar elsewhere in your application (a special talent), these are all reach schools. Add some safeties/matches.

By Financelad (Financelad) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

I totally agree with Caroyn~ GOD FINALLY !! someone had the guts to tell us the truth..

THankie :)

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Some people in the U.S. get very close to 4.0s and 1600s and get rejected from those schools, what makes you more qualified than them?

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

I would say to retake, but Dec 6 is such little time to study....and i know SAT2s are required for most of these schools....eek....i would hate to be in ur situation

By Navygirl18 (Navygirl18) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:40 am: Edit

thanks for all the feedback, the constructive, uncontructive and unsavoury ones.

honeymoon: i totally agree abt them being unfair to dismiss. i seriously don't know how they calculate stuff in the US but i would think tt the O levels (AND As DEF) are much tougher courses then normal. i know they weigh Os importantly. As for As.. your results are out (and good at that) so it will def be an advantage.
in my case my results will only be out after decisions have been made (if not wrong).. so they will ask for projected or sth. all the best!

Carolyn: thank you! finally some constructive stuff! like minibrit says, my situation is not so good. excuses are not good but it is such tt the education system here is tough and rigid- ie. need to study like crazy all the time.
i totally agree tt 1290 is way too low. but unfortunately cant do anything at the moment except retake SAT I in jan.

i talked to a columbia and harvard alumni and her princeton huband (this is not name dropping) and they are still optimistic coz like u said, numbers are not everything.
granted, 1290 is borderline, not immediate acceptance or immediate dustbin-bound.. so theres hope for ppl on the board who got average SAT scores. :)

have REALLY good ECs and 200 over hours of community service, and am a top lit and essay student in last 4 years of high school.. so i'm hoping that will help me :)

thanks again carolyn for advice, appreciate it!!!

As for SOKKERDUDE4: you seem very narrowminded. i am well aware of 1600 and 4.0s being rejected. Like many experts say, its a roll of a dice.
i know some of these people personally, Asian scholars (SUPER smart) rejected by Columbia and such. AND they had better personalities than you. :) all i can say is tt they just weren't what those colleges were looking for.
and i may be. full stop.

By Navygirl18 (Navygirl18) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:43 am: Edit

oh yeah and financelad, i too agree. Carolyn seems like someone objective and truthful.
FINALLY.

By Gazal205 (Gazal205) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 05:53 am: Edit

Navy girl
I'm also doing my A levels in delhi and i applied to vassar (ED) for 2004.
Here are my stats: Gcse's 4 A*s, 3 A's 2 B's
A levels: Predicted 3 A's for an Economics major
Sat I : 1250 lower than yours and Sat 2s: Maths IC 700 MAths IIC 660 and Writing 500 (will give II C and writing again)

I dont know if i'll make it .... but it really is a hard shot.

So hope that helps u.

By Gazal205 (Gazal205) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 05:56 am: Edit

stargzrlilychk
can i pleze have your stats? u had good gcses ...sorry u got rejected.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:26 am: Edit

"i talked to a columbia and harvard alumni and her princeton huband (this is not name dropping) and they are still optimistic coz like u said, numbers are not everything. "

so any person w/ a 1400 and 3.78 gpa has SOME chance of getting in?

By Navygirl18 (Navygirl18) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:54 am: Edit

hey gazal..
your GCSEs are way better than mine (1 A* and 5 Bs! and 1 C) so tt will def help you!

i agree about vassar being a long shot.. both our SAT scores are under the 50% average.

Its quite clear tt your maths is really strong (why did you take 2 Math SAT II???) so best of luck. But personally i thnk u should retake writing at your next chance. will help in your other applications :)
Thanks for info too~!

Virgo007: i would have to say yes to that question. i will assume that we are talking about the ivies here too. The most competitive schools of course, will give students with those stats higher PRIORITY.
But admission is not guaranteed to all of them. There are many many students with good grades. But besides for being academically strong, gd schs want to be diverse and all rounded.
sure, most ppl with superior scores will get in.. but only if they show tt they are not a dime a dozen- via ECs and essays.
for example, i can have a 1560 and 4.0 GPA but show through my essays that i am an immature and self-centred/boring/uncreative person. Despite my high scores, i can guarantee tt i will be rejected.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Navygirl18:

Thanks...I have some hope now..

By Navygirl18 (Navygirl18) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

virgo007: hope you meant tt in a good way. Your stats are good, and as long as your essays and ECs measure up, theres no need to worry. Good luck.

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

What does stating fact have to do with personality? And experts DO say its a roll of the dice, however that doesn't mean that anybody can attend their school by simple luck.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Navy- lol Yes, I mieant that in a good way. I don't know, I'm going to pray extra tonite...

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Navy- lol Yes, I mieant that in a good way. I don't know, I'm going to pray extra tonite...

By Navygirl18 (Navygirl18) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 01:12 am: Edit

virgo- haha ok all the best, i'll be praying super hard too when i send my apps in!

sokkerdude: i never said anyone can get in based on luck! a "roll of the dice" is a phrase meaning its unpredictable.
so what i was saying is tt admissions is unpredictable,and tt whilst facts def give PRIORITY (as in good stats) it is the OTHER factors tt determine admission. there was another posting on the board abt admissions processes, and tons of material on the stuff. i suggest u check it out.

By Lostboy86 (Lostboy86) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 02:47 am: Edit

Im in a similar situation to you guys, SAT of 1300, straight A's at (I)GCSE, but now im doin the IB diploma and predicted 40-41 points. I've got pretty good EC's, 2 senior team sports, community service, guitar tuitioning and a lot of other random things. I'm not tt worried about the whole thing, cos i actually have LSE, UCL, Warwick and some other great UCAS unis as possibilities if i get rejected from the US ones (middlebury, Colby, Bowdoin, Carleton).

Everything will work out eventually. Good luck wif everything!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page