Can i get into UC santa Barbara?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Can i get into UC santa Barbara?
By UCSB Maybe on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Would these stats get me into UCSB?

Unweigthed UC GPA: 3.6875
Weighted UC GPA: 4.015
SAT I: 1420 800M 620V
SAT II: 710 Writing 730 US History 740 IC
Four years Volleyball but other wise not many ecs and no familial problems

By :D on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Are you a cali resident?

By p on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Of course you can get in UCSB! That's school is very easy to get in, trust me. People with stats a lot lower than yours still got into that school without any difficulty(and they're not minorities).

By . on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 09:51 pm: Edit

having a pulse gets you into ucsb

By Bdocta on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 09:57 pm: Edit

yeah from cali

By UCSB on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 12:32 pm: Edit

For Fall 2002, this was the profile at UC Santa Barbara:

34,717 Applicants
17,705 Accepted (51% Acceptance Rate)
4,041 of the 17,705 Accepted Registered at UCSB

UCSB is still selective; obviously if you have straight C's or D's on your transcript and no honors classes and 800 on your SAT's and no extra-curriculars, you probably won't get in.

By Let me get into UCSB. on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 08:43 pm: Edit

I want to know if I will get into UCSB.

*SAT 1 1,240 (590 Math, 650 Verbal)
*SAT 2 600 Math 1C, 690 Writing, 620 Literature
*UC GPA 3.47
*International Baccalaureate Anticipated Diploma Recipient (all Pre-IB/IB courses all 4 years of school).
*Plenty of Volunteer Work/Community Service including 85+ hours of tutoring and 70+ hours of hospital work. Few extracurriculars though, I don't like school clubs because they're just way too social for my taste. I prefer just volunteering outright. No work experience.

By Hi on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 10:51 pm: Edit

I really hate how people bash UCSB.. I mean, yes, it does have that party atmosphere and generally a bad reputation, but the school is what you make of it. Anyone can find their niche. They also have very well respected programs. Not many other schools have a better package-- Good school, a great ocean front location, and generally many of the students tend to be really nice there.

I have in the 1400s SAT, over 700s on all my SAT IIs, over 4.0 GPA, etc and I am still seriously considering going to UCSB.. I see no shame.

As to "Let me get into UCSB", you have a good shot. Good luck!

By Let me get into UCSB. on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:03 pm: Edit

I plan on going to UCSB because like you said, Hi, their programs are very good, particularly in what I want to major in, Art History. The school overall has a pretty bad reputation because of the "partying" and the drinking and so on, but still...
I kind of slacked off in high school, which in retrospect, I regret because I think I had the potential to go to UCLA, which was my first choice, but know I have absolutely no chance at now. I got those SAT I & II scores without studying, and I know I could have gotten so much more if I had spent a little more time on them. My GPA is quite low too, but at least I have the back-up of a good strong program with International Baccalaureate. Well, now I know to focus more and study more whatever college I get into.

Hi, where else are you applying to and what are you going to major in?

By hi on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I'm only applying to schools in California: 6 UC schools (UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, Cal, UCI, UCD), USC, and Stanford. I'm happy to be in any school I've applied to.

As for majors: I honestly have no clue what I want to do with my life. I'm not really good at ONE subject...I kinda like a mix of everything. I feel like I switch majors/professions every week, but I guess that is OK. But these are the following areas I've been interested in: Engineering (Mechanical), Communication/Advertising/Marketing,and Business/Econ...

If you have any suggestions for me, I'm all ears :) hehe. I just want to get into a college, then I can take some classes, and figure out my likes and dislikes.

By Let me get into UCSB. on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Well, you should of course consult with the counselors and professors there, but you do seem to know what general areas you are interested in: Business & Engineering. Don't wait too long to declare a major, though, because some of the majors have a lot of pre-requisite courses, I'm not sure about yours in particular.

Would you honestly go to UCSB if you were accepted to UCLA, USC, etc.?
And lastly, are you going to graduate school or does a B.S. satisfy you? I want to go to grad school, hopefully UCLA because I know that I will most likely do much better in college because a)I'm taking classes I like taking and b)I know how important it is to get to grad school for myself.

By hi on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:55 pm: Edit

For me, yea, I can see how I generally focus into Business and Engineering.. but who knows heh.

As for if I got accepted to UCLA, would I go to UCSB.. It is a toughy for me. I mean, one, UCLA is a lot closer to me,making that both a plus and a minus. I honestly think I will end up going to UCLA if I get accepted (health issues..). Yet, I really don't know. I am also seriously considering Cal, UCSD, and Stanford, of course, if I get in. I need to go back and visit again, stay overnight with a student, and see which place best suits me.

I do plan to go to graduate school. Whether it be medical school, business school, Masters program, I don't know. But I am a high achiever... so I will probably push myself.

I like UCLA a lot but don't think UCLA is all that. My sister went there, and yes, it is one of the top Public universities in the nation, but there are many negatives.. huge classes, hard time getting classes, lack of diversity.. I mean, I personally rather be in a class of 500 vs. a class of 50.. But that is me. You have to consider if you want your professor to know your name or if you want to remain a little fish in a big sea.

Art History is an interesting major...I give ya props.. I love that stuff. What do you think you wanna have as your profession?

By You suck on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 02:09 am: Edit

The question is.....who CAN'T get into Santa Barbara?

By Let me get into UCSB. on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 02:57 am: Edit

Well, "You Suck", obviously 17,000 applicants last year didn't get into UC Santa Barbara. That still means it's still a fairly selective school. Not everyone in a general sampling of people is 1400+ SAT, 4.00+ GPA, etc. The people who didn't get accepted were the ones with 800 total SAT scores, no extracurriculars, etc., etc.

Art History is indeed an interesting major, not something you hear everyday no? Most people say pre-med or engineering or whatever, but not me. UCSB and UCLA don't have statistics available on their website, but for UCSD, a total of 44 students out of 19,000+ undergraduates had art history as a major, while over 1,200+ had general biology alone.

For my profession, I would really to work as an art museum curator, maybe at the New York Met - who knows [shrugs]?? But I could also work at an auction house, become an university professor, etc. A lot more possibilities that you can think. It definitely wouldn't make me a millionaire, curators (who are required to have Ph.d.'s) only make about $30-50,000 a year, but hey, are teachers teachers for the money or farmers farmers for the money? Not exactly.

By hi on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 03:16 am: Edit

Impressive... Seriously, very interesting. It is good to go into a profession you truely love, and not go into for the money...all you have to do is marry rich! JUST KIDDING

By YOu Suck on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 03:46 am: Edit

Being an art curator would suck. You want to WORK in a MUSEUM? Wow.....your life will be horrible

By Let me get into UCSB. on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Oh come on, "YOu Suck," if everyone was a doctor and a lawyer, who would serve you your meals at the restaurant or take your calls when you called the customer service at the bank? There's something for everybody.
And what will You be doing that will be a much better career?

"hi," that's right, I'll remember that ;)

By Jason on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 04:33 pm: Edit

I know someone with 1030 SAT who got into UCSB, but ended up at UC Santa Cruz(ahem...), assertively claiming that it was a "cooler" school. Oh well, more power to him!

By Let me get into UCSB. on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 11:49 pm: Edit

UC Santa Cruz is the lowest "ranked" of all the UC's, but that is where someone with a 1030 usually goes in the UC system, unless they are rejected outright.

By Jason on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Actually, UC Riverside is the easiest UC to get into it accepts 85% of applicants, while Sant Cruz takes 82%. If you have the UC book, you can sort of calculate your chances at every school. Looks like you got a 53% shot at UCSB.

By Simic on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 09:20 pm: Edit

ok i have a question. i am out of state (texas) and want to know my chances at any UC school.
SAT: 1200 (2nd highest in my hs)
ACT: 28 (highest in my hs)
GPA: 89 (which is about 3.8 i think)
low performing hs
low income family
church youth group
varsity track and cross country
work as an intern with MD
want to major Cell Biology or Nursing

plus.......anything close to the palm springs, palm desert area would be nice.....any good 4 yr universities around that area that would fit me?

By Jason on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 10:16 pm: Edit

UC Santa Cruz and UC Riverside should take you. All others, you better get your testing up. Also, you must take 3 SAT IIs: Writing, Math Ic/2c, and a third test.
May wanna look into CSU campuses. Good luck

By SiMic on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 10:25 pm: Edit

ok well what CSU campuses would take me?

By Quarky on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 10:34 pm: Edit

What about my chances? I am also out-of-state, applying from Idaho.

SAT I: 550V 780M
ACT: 32 (34 Eng, 35 Math, 30 Read, 29 Sci and another one with 32 Eng, 34 Math, 30 Read, 33 Sci)
SAT II: 720 Phys, 800 IIC, 730 Writing
English is my second language; Russian is first.
GPA... umm.. give me a min to see how they compute it at UC's....

OK, UC's use grades from 10, 11, and 12 grades... Since I don't have my 12th year grades yet, I will tell you what my calculated weighted GPA for yrs 10 and 11 is: 4.25 with honors/AP in English, Calculus, and Statistics.

My class rank is 7/253 at a public ID school, where only about 35% of seniors go to college.

I also have some EC's and leadership positions, as well as awards in math and science (also some awards in business and English, but there are very few of those).

I am applying for Electrical Engineering at UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and CSU schools, San Jose State University and CalPoly San Luis Obispo.

What are my chances?

By Jason on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Looks like Davis and San Jose will take you, not sure about Cal Ply. UC Berkeley accepts 26% of applicants, with priority given to CA residents and all UCs emphasize that ENGINEERING/COMP SCI majors are hardest to gain admission to. Therefore, Berkeley is no sure bet.

By Quarky on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 10:59 pm: Edit

OK, thanks. Anyone else?

By asdfsda on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 11:03 pm: Edit

davis, cal states will take you; berkeley no way (especially since you want to get into an impacted major and you are from out of state)

By Quarky on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Asdfsda: so will CalPoly take me then?

By areucrazyshi on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 12:36 am: Edit

Holy crap man, I have no clue why you even bother asking. DUDE YOU ARE IN WITHOUT A DOUBT. I live in Cali and its a known fact that if you have a 3.5 GPA or + with a 1250, you are in! You should be more concerned about getting into Berkely. As for LA, i think you have a very solid chance too.

By asdfsda on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

cal poly will be no problem.....

By Samara (Samara) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 02:01 am: Edit

I HAD A 3.85 GPA, A 1390 ON MY SAT 1 AND AROUND 650-750 ON ALL MY SAT 2S. I WAS IN MANY MANY MANY EXTRACURRICULARS HOLDING LEADERSHIP POSITIONS. I WAS ACCEPTED TO UCI, UCD, UCR, AND UCSC AND WAS REJECTED FROM UC SANTA BARBARA! WHAT THE HECK! I ALSO WANT EVERYONE TO STOP DISSING THE SCHOOL I CHOSE TO GO TO, UCSC. I IS REALLY A HIDDEN TREASURE IN WHAT IT HAS TO OFFER.

By Xiylia1 (Xiylia1) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

Can someone please give me some advice as to what high school classes I should take, what extracurricular activities i should be apart of and any extra tips you might be able to offer to help me get into UCSB.

By Rsbjsd (Rsbjsd) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

what kind of grades do i need to get into UCSB if im from MA?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page