U of Chicago economic?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: U of Chicago economic?
By Coolman (Coolman) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

How is U of Chicago's economic's program. I know it is not as good as places like Wharton, but do graduates get many job offeres from prestigious places?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Since 1969 when the Nobel Prize in Economics was first given, University of Chicago professors have won nine. Wharton none. Another 13 went to former students of U of C. The U of C faculty currently has 5 Nobel Laureates in Economics. Does that help?

By Healthy_Body (Healthy_Body) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 04:43 pm: Edit

I've heard from many people University of Chicago is the best.

By Godis (Godis) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 07:59 am: Edit

so in summary of the last three posts, uchicago sucks at econ.

By Wharton1986 (Wharton1986) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:35 am: Edit

uchicago kicks ass fro econ.the best program in the country.

i just hope that they are treated on par with students from wharton and sloan and umich b school and haas at cal as far as jobs are concerned.

anyone have any idea what the starting salary for a uchicago gra with a degree in econ?????

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:47 am: Edit

Do not know starting salaries of Econ majors at U of C. However, it appears some above may have a misconception of what U of C economics is. Wharton, UMich B school, others mentioned, are primarily "businees" schools -- accounting, marketing, bus admin, and the like. U of C has a business school only at the graduate level. It is a firm believer in the undergrad liberal arts education and does not have undergrad "professional" schools. Economics as a major is actually a far cry from any business admin, accounting, marketing, etc. major. You don't take accounting, marketing, bus admin etc. (and U of C undergrad does not even have those courses). You learn all the theory on how the economy works and how to fix it when it doesn't. The major is very heavy on theory and statistics, and, particularly at U of C, you are actually required to take advanced math and statistics courses for the major. As a former econ major, I can tell you for upper level econ courses it is far more important for you to have had advanced calculus than marketing 101.

By Kone (Kone) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

good post by drusba ... if you want to pursue a "business curriculum" as many people see it, uchicago may not be the best place to go. econ is a social science, grounded in complex theories and mathematicaly conceptualizations.

some of the best undergrad "finance programs" are at wharton and NYU Stern ... and these programs may be more applicable to jobs right out of school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page