Marines

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Marines
By Marines on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 03:28 pm: Edit

I'm planning on serving in the military anyways. I was deferred Harvard EA - if they saw that I joined the reserves between the time I was deferred and April, would they look highly on it? People tell me the next 4 months are to be spent improving in whatever way possible, so can this be considered an improvement?

By Gregon on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Harvard hates the military. You'll be auto rejected. They don't even allow ROTC on campus. If you are planning on a military future try a different school. Harvard is full of belligerent pacifists who would belittle you if you were in the military.

Join the Marines if you want but I guarantee you it will NOT help your admission status.

By why on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:28 pm: Edit

why does harvard hate the military?

By Olivia Williamson on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Harvard doesn't exactly hate the military....but many elite colleges had a lot of student protest against the military during the Vietnam war, and so established policies against military recruiting on campus at that time. Harvard, like Stanford and many others, also eliminated ROTC programs on campus, although ROTC students do attend those schools and attend training and military classes at other universities who kept those programs (Harvard folks generally go to MIT). The bans have been kept up because of the military discrimination against homosexuals, which does not fit with most campus recruiting policies these days.

There's an article in the Harvard Magazine from last year (http://www.harvard-magazine.com/on-line/050229.html) that talks about some of these things, and has a link for more information.

You might want to consider joining ROTC instead of the reserves: you can get some tuition assistance right away, and end up with an officer's commission, instead of being enlisted. (More money, responsibility, if that's what you're looking for). It does, of course, mean that you'd have to spend 4 years on active duty after you graduate.

- Olivia

By Gregon on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 09:32 am: Edit

In other words, don't expect a warm welcome for your military service.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page