True Story

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: True Story
By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

This is to all those who constanty disparage others who don't have perfect test scores. Granted this is only one example, but I'm just saying that don't freak out b/c ur numbers aren't perfect.

My bf's sis stats, got accepted to Stanford, Harvard, Brown, Cornell.Went to Stanford.
Her stats:
1450 SAT (750 V 700 M)
720 W, 760 IIC, 740 US History, 690 Chem
4.2 Gpa, top 5%, all AP/honors classes, 4s and 5s on AP exams.

White, no legacy.
ECs: Clinical Rotation (2 yr. med program at hs),
PALS (peer assistant leadership), NHS, HOSA-health occupation students of America. Both Clin and PALS had tryouts.
Volunteer 150s hrs. for Therapeutic program
not counting hrs for PALs and at nursing home.
is certified nursing assistant (from clinical rotation)
awards:
basic school awards, nothing big

essay: described herself through her dog's eyes, very very funny and personable

She later told me that an admissions officer said he liked her drive and personality.

By Financelad (Financelad) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

LOL 1450 on the SAT? well its easy then
what about people who get like in the 1200's or the 1300's
sorry your post did not convince me

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

ditto.

By Collegeman3021 (Collegeman3021) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

A TRUE STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hanging Corpse Admired as Sculpture on Campus"

Copy and paste the following link to see the full story. http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20031114/od_nm/odd_hungary_sculpture_dc

---------
Granted this is only one example, but I'm just saying be careful when looking at modern art.

Just something to think about!

By Yu_Xia (Yu_Xia) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

i believe you jen...these guys are so desperate they want something (ie. numbers) that will definitely get you in...numbers are not everything...after the SAT cut...which is around 1400 for every top notch school...they look at personality and other qualitative stuff...that essay sounds like good stuff...very creative=)

By Metz (Metz) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

>>after the SAT cut...which is around 1400 for every top notch school
That's totally not true. Admission stats for top 15 schools change significantly for those taht score a 1400 and 1500. And a Dartmouth adcom in "A is for Admission" wrote that she considered an SAT score of at least 1490 or 1500 impressive, where a 1400 was a good score but nothing special.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

wow jens! i think i read an article about your sister. because i remember reading an article about a girl who got into stanford after writing a humorous essay about herself through her dogs eyes. it also said her brother got in because he had a talent in designing skateboards or something like that? is this your family?

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

My point was that it is not impossible to into top schools like stanford, harvard without a 1600. THere are many people on this site who like to deprecate others for having anything less than perfect. I distinctly remember several examples when a 1500 or 1520 were "bad" or "not good enough".

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:20 pm: Edit

A 1450 is basically perfect. Its enough to get in anywhere

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:20 pm: Edit

To Abyss: Hmm, i dont know that article. where did u read it? Anyways it's not my family, but my bf's sister that i was talking about.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

SAT cut? what about recruited athletes? i know a lot of recruited athletes that barely scored above 1300.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:35 pm: Edit

"A 1450 is basically perfect. Its enough to get in anywhere"

can anyone disprove this statement with an example? i mean, i guess it's true, but my friend and got rejected from harvard, princeton, and yale. he had a 1530 SAT and top of his class. i really don't think they don't want perfection.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

i dont think we know what the hell colleges are looking for and neither do they? one year it's all top notch students who are almost close to perfection while another time you see instance of average students get in while kids with great personalities, great grades, i mean great evrything get rejected. there's no boundaries to who gets in and who doesnt in the admission process. it's a damn crazy world.

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

I agree. who knows what goes on in the admissions office...it makes me want to do a reese witherspoon video from 'legally blonde' and send it to those stereotypical strait-laced, never-pleased college admission officers at those ivies.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page