Poor white kid's chances at College...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Poor white kid's chances at College...
By defenestrated on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:22 pm: Edit

I'm not really that poor actually, i'm lower middle class..oh, also, .. neither of my parents went to college... Anyway, ironically, i live in a very wealthy town and go to a very good/tough public school in MA. I have appx. a 90 W GPA(w/senior year grades so far... Freshman: 93 Sophomore: 84 Junior:90, Senior:100) I've taken the SAT I's twice and have a 1400(800m 600v).. SAT IIs: Physics 710, WR 640, MIIC 750... I showed my essay(s) to several people(teachers, friends, family etc..).. they all thought it was excellent.. I really put my heart into it and made it as unique and honest as possible(without going overboard, also you may not believe me because i only got a 640 on writing. Although that score was low, i did well on the essay portion and was feeling sick that day because of this medication i was just put on). Anyway, i'm babbling...
I'm fairly involved at my school... i played baseball for 2 years, outdoor track for 2, indoor track for 3.. I'm on the math team, science team, chess team... i was in other clubs like photo club, italian club, etc...i did 50 hours of community service in Russia for this trip i went on during the summer after freshman year, and two summers ago did 180 hours at a summer camp... I don't really have many awards... just two for the AATSP Test(some National Spanish Test) I'm in a few APs this year(Physics, Calc, Economics) i've taken mostly honors classes throughout hs... and thats all i can think of...

So, i'm applying to Cornell(yeah right) Carnegie mellon, Brandeis, Mcgill, Grinnell, Case Western, Rochester Institute of Technology, Pitzer, and U NH(actually i just received an acceptance letter a week ago in the mail along with a generous scholorship which makes me consider going here).. .
What are my chances at these schools? Any feedback will be appreciated

By defenestrated on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 03:42 pm: Edit

actually, i am begging for any feedback

By defenestrated on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 09:09 pm: Edit

bump

By Defenestrated on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 10:20 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Bdocta on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 10:48 pm: Edit

okay, your SAT is good and you SAT II's are good also cept for the writing. Im not sure how your GPA scal works and so maybe you could explain that for me? Cornell and Carnegie Mellon might be a reach but the others i would say are definitely in reach. But please explain to me your GPA scale and what each grade gives you.

By defenestrated on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:42 am: Edit

oh, sorry, rather than explain my gpa scale(its kinda confusing) i'll tell you i'm ranked about 38 out of 188 in my class. My GPA seems low but its really not bad because my high school is supposedly pretty tough

By defenestrated on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:44 am: Edit

thanks, anyone else?

By defenestrated on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:12 pm: Edit

bump

By defenestrated on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 09:03 pm: Edit

burp

By defenestrated on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 09:26 pm: Edit

c'mon, somebody please respond

By BBB on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Cornell - not very likely, CMU - a bit better but still less than 50%, the rest more likely.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page