Off topic...But FUN SURVEY!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Off topic...But FUN SURVEY!!!
By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:07 pm: Edit

ok I know like mostly EVERYONE on this board wants to get into those "top schools" (ivy's, MIT, stanford, caltech, etc, etc.)

say you dont get in...(or even if u do)

and in like 7 years you have kids...

now will you be one of those "crazy parents" that would teach their kids Chemistry at age 5, AP Calculus at age 10, super-athlete, etc, etc

(If you ever saw the movie "Parenthood" you know what I'm talking about)

By Culovv (Culovv) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 02:00 pm: Edit

My kids will know linear algebra before entering kindergarten. I wont settle for a 1590 so they better have perfect scores before graduating 8th grade.

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 02:35 pm: Edit

i'll be so filty rich that there would be no point in sending my kids to college.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 03:29 pm: Edit

absolutely not

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

lol bump

By Norwegianwood23 (Norwegianwood23) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 09:02 pm: Edit

I'll start my own college. The randomness of the selection process will be legendary (except for my kids)

By Rem153 (Rem153) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:33 am: Edit

Well, if you want your kid to get ahead then you have to develop them at an early age. Genius can be developed.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:38 am: Edit

Nope. I will want my kid to do well for him/herself... put him/her in the highest educational level/program he or she can handle and try to expose them to different activities starting at a young age. There's no point in teaching a kid AP chem at five... I think it's important to let kids play and socialize when they're little, too. After all, MANY of the skills you will need as an adult cannot be learned in a book. Period.

By Surfndcoolwater (Surfndcoolwater) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:44 am: Edit

haha hell yea, i want my kids to be smart and other students to be intimidated by my children, nah jk, i want them to learn how to read and write first, atleast or by kinder...

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 03:03 am: Edit

I'm going to have them play lots of memory games as a child so they would have a godly short and/or long term memory as they grow older.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:42 pm: Edit

i just want my kids to know more than one language from a young age. because that really comes handy later in life, and its easiest to learn a language when you are young.

By Yellowcard05 (Yellowcard05) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

My kids will watch Baby Mozart and then they will be set for life.

By Leejwwc (Leejwwc) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

at age 1 hr, they will be inculcated with the definition of the derivative

at age 1 day, they will have mastered calculus altogether

at age 1 month, they will have studied the classics

at age 1 yr, they will know the meaning of life

in 1 decade, they will have completed a doctoral degree in every field of human knowledge

and for 90 more years, they will stay home and vegetate

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

I agree with baby mozart. My kid will be composing music before he can write. He'll be singing before he can talk, and if hes not born with perfect pitch, damn it ill force it into him lol.

By Islam2nkorea (Islam2nkorea) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Offensive post deleted. Poster warned. Repetition will be cause for banning.

--Moderator Obiwan

By Collegeapplier (Collegeapplier) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

I'm getting into an awesome college, making tons of money, and working my butt off so my kids can be legacies at both Swarthmore and Harvard later on...

By Slippyskippy (Slippyskippy) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 03:08 am: Edit

it kinda depends on my wife... if my gf and i had kids... i dont think we'd be able to teach them anything, much less calculus. We're both smart, but we both tie for like the shortest attention spans in TX. Our kids would be running into each other and walls and such every few minutes, killing billions of brain cells a day.

So, in other words, no.

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 03:20 am: Edit

if i have kids in 7 years...

By Polly (Polly) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:20 am: Edit

Actually perfect pitch cannot be innate, but is obtained by training, right?

Regardless of if I'll get in good schools or not, I will definitely teach my children to play violins and some other instruments about the age of 3.
Then before entering elementary school, they can already play famous, difficult pieces, such as Wieniawski's violin concerto.
And by the age of 10, they can already play Paganini's 24 Caprice perfectly in pitch. :D
I wish I was like that.

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:27 am: Edit

Social skills are more important than grades, thats why the only smart people WITH social skills become politicians...ahem, well most of them at least...let your kid live a little, introduce him/her to other kids, don't keep them locked up memorizing the digits of pi! Also, encourage them to take up an instrument in elementary school. that is all.

By Lata (Lata) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:21 am: Edit

LOL....UM...I THINK I'MA LET MY CHILDREN BE CHILDREN...YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE AND THEN IT'S OVA...MOST OF US WANT TO CHILDREN AGAIN..ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO PAYING BILLS WORKING..GOING TO CLASS ON OUR OWN..LET YOUR CHILDREN GROW UP IN DECENT ORDER..!

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:43 am: Edit

I have a suggestion that no one mentioned, coming from a seasoned mother. You'll probably cringe when I mention it, but studies have shown that breastfeeding is associated with brain development and kids who have been breastfed score higher on IQ tests. It's hard to separate other parenting factors that contribute to intelligence from breastfeeding, but babies who have been fed cow's milk from bottles have been compared to babies who have been fed breast milk from bottles, and the babies fed breast milk come out ahead on all measures, even years later.

By Royalchk (Royalchk) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I wouldn't have kids.

By Financelad (Financelad) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

yeah sounds hellah dumb. I wont force my kids into doing crap. I dont want them to turn into stupid SNOBS with no lives and who thikn that the only way they can be happy is if they get into a tOP notch school

HELL NO I want my kids to BE HAPPY!

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Polititians arent smart....

ahh I'll probably only breastfeed for like a month. my boobs are small enough as is. nah and i dont have to worry about that too much, my husband will be a genius and his genes will be carried out in my kids :-)

By Sandy (Sandy) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

MomX4,
Hell ya, they will be breast fed. They will be given their childhood. That is it. Everything will follow from there.

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Way to go Sandy!

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

ISLAM2NORTHKOREA, please see warning in post above. Expressions of intolerance, prejudice, and violence are not acceptable, from ANYONE on the basis of ANY national, ethnic, racial, or religious grounds. You nearly got banned for this post...if I have to make another judgment call, you're gone.

--Moderator Obiwan

By Steffie1212002 (Steffie1212002) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

Momx4, now I know who to blame for my inadaquencies....

Steffie: What if I get rejected? It'll be all your fault! Why didn't you breastfeed me, ma?

Mom: It's never too late to start

Steffie: *Shudders, then runs away screaming*

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

What exactly did islam say? darn it, now im dying of curiosity.

By Yaleeakid (Yaleeakid) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:47 am: Edit

HeHe.
People of higher education are noted for having fewer children. Therfore I will not have children at all but rather develop a race of supercomputer nanobots that will take over the world with in days of their construction. MuHaHaHaHa...i'm doing nanotech at Cornell, hows that for ambition...should that go on my college essay?

By Sally (Sally) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:50 pm: Edit

I will have a daughter. :)

I would want my daughter to be Miss World or Miss Universe---A Beauty Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Or a famous multiple star!--Actress & Singer & Model.....

Because, if she is MY daughter, then she is already known to be smart. haha :)

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Miss universe? how shallow, how sad. its sad that we live in a world who gives so much praise to something that somoene is accidently born with.

Im ugly, i must be completely worthless i guess.

By Alishams (Alishams) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:11 am: Edit

I am not, I'll just walk around blaming my kids for all my troubles and falures, and read them bead time stories about the day their rejection letter will arrive.

By Madhouse (Madhouse) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Inside beauty is more important. But, it is fun to watch the pageant.

By Sally (Sally) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

It's not a accident.

And--
Honey, you are not ugly. Trust me.

Everyone is attractive in his or her own way. :)

Besides, there is make-up. :)

By Abyss (Abyss) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

how would you know she's not ugly?
enough with the inside beauty is more important crap.
and if everyone is attractive and oh-so wonderful in thier own way, sally, why can't your daughter just never get a title in anything? why does she have to prove her status to other people?

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

*sigh* even makeup doesnt help. I wish that and plastic surgery didnt exist, then we would be able to see how people really look like. I dont think people should cover up their "flaws" I wish people would just be satisfied with what they had.

Anyway the girls in those pagents are always so ugly. Their faces look so plain and boring. Maybe thats just me since I grew up in Miami and the people look different here, but it really upsets me.

By Sally (Sally) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

wow, Abyss, I am sorry about my post.

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

wow abyss you're really PMS'ing on ppl today

first i see you arguing with Neo on the Stanford thread, now this?!

And about the ugliness...i dunno about that...miami girls are hot...

By Onlynyu (Onlynyu) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

"93."

;)

By Filmnerd86 (Filmnerd86) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

If i ever take the initiative to have children (this being difficult since i am of the homosexual persuasion), they will be ••••••• brilliant. I will require them to get 2400 (the new SAT will be in place) before they can move out of the house and straight 800s on the IIs, they will be the president of at least 5 clubs and star in all theater related performances. They will cocurrently work on a degree at a nearby university while in high school. all in all they are gonna be the smartest, and all around best student in the nation and schools will be paying him/her to go to their school. However they will not participate in sports because sports are gross.

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

well, if i had children i would give them tutors and everything. Even if i don't get into a good college, i will still strive to become a doctor. If i do become one, you can be ensured that my child will have all the luxuries of life, especially in education. He will get a private princeton review counselor, and kaplan tutor. He will also have an independent admissions counselor, so he won't have to suffer thru the same misery i have to suffer now. Stupid applications.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 05:27 pm: Edit

lol nycneedhelp, sometimes i get irritated by comments that strike me as ignorant (for example, filmnerd's post). sometimes i can keep my opinions to myself, remembering most of this is just casual talk, but other times..... lol. maybe i came down to hard on her. ;)

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

filmnerd...president of 5 clubs? Now thats a little much...popularity has nothing to do with intelligence. THats just wrong

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page