Question(s) for Tim

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Question(s) for Tim
By RamiroT on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:20 am: Edit

Hello Tim

You might have seen me post on other topics as well, but I wanted to get an answer from you. I have seen that you are a good writer and probably a good speaker also. You also talk about reading good books in order to help verbal scores. Well I worked a lot during high school (I'm a senior) and now that I will be headed off to college (God willing) I will not have a job and will have more time to study and will have more free time. I think I will take up reading more than before. What are some good books that you recommend for me? I know that Ender's Game is a good one. Right?

By ... on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:35 am: Edit

wow...

By Tim on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:46 am: Edit

Yes, it is.

Here's a random list of authors and specific books that I think are good to read.

*Lord of the Rings - if you haven't already.

*James Joyce - anything. "Finnegan's Wake" is especially "interesting." It's been called the hardest book in the English language, and it's the only book in my life I haven't finished. His other works, like "Dubliners", are much more understandable and very good.

*Chuck Palahniuk - author of "Fight Club."

*Shakespeare

*"The Illuminatus! Trilogy" by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson - very strange. Quite hard to follow, but worth it.

*The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons - far-future science fiction series composed of "Hyperion" & "The Fall of Hyperion" followed hundreds of years later by "Endymion" and "The Rise of Endymion." Quite possibly the best science fiction I've ever read.

*The Uplift Series by David Brin - more science fiction. The first book, "Sundiver", serves as a prologue can be read by itself, as can the next book, "Startide Rising." "The Uplift War" should be read after "Startide Rising," and the entire Second Uplift Trilogy has to be read all together and after "Startide Rising." I also liked his "Earth."

*Kurt Vonnegut

*Edgar Allan Poe

*George Orwell

*Neal Stephenson - I've read "Snow Crash" and "The Diamond Age," which look into a very interesting near (Snow Crash) and about 100 years away (The Diamond Age) influence by cyberspace and linguistics in "Snow Crash," nanotechnology in "The Diamond Age", but most importantly, in both, the collapse of nation-states.

*Harry Potter - it's not going to help you with college too much, but they're cool.

*The His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman - it is somewhat marketed to children, but it is a very good adult read. It has very many interesting idead, but DO NOT read it if you are strongly religious in the Judeo-Christian way and don't want your values and religion challenged.

*Stephen Baxter - anything in his "Xeelee Sequence." EXTREMELY far future science fiction.

I think that will be enough for now, and I encourage others to chime in.

Tim

By ... on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:54 am: Edit

There are a lot of good books. Ender's Game is more of a child's book. I read it in fifth grade and would not consider reading it again. Go to the library or search through amazon.com to find something that intrests you. Or just ask the all-knowing Tim.

By Gregon on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 12:32 pm: Edit

Tim you're a celebrity. People even want to know what books you read! Lol. Too bad about the MIT thing. They missed out on a smart one.

Did you see The Two Towers yet? What did you think about the parts they cut? I liked it. Gollum deserves a nomination.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page