Help! Desperate! Made a Mistake!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Help! Desperate! Made a Mistake!
By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

I handed my ED application to Haverford, but I'm having serious second thoughts. I don't know if I really like the Honor Code or the campus. My parents pressured me so much into applying ED. I just feel like Swarthmore, just 10 minutes more away, has such a better program for pre-med. I've worked hard all of high school (1490 SAT, 4.0 GPA UW), and I feel as though i could do a little bit better than Haverford. But, at the same token, Swarthmore is not an easy school to get into. Is it possible to rescind an early decision application and make it regular decision without the admissions office freaking out? This is my life here and I feel like I made the biggest mistake ever.

Thanks. Help! Please!

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Please, anyone. What should I do?

By Metz (Metz) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Hmmm....maybe you should CALL THE SCHOOL AND ASK.

By Unmatchedsocks (Unmatchedsocks) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Call the school and ask. It will most likely not be a problem.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Won't the school view me dropping from early to regular as a sign i'm not interested in the school? I want to go to either Haverford or Swarthmore. I don't feel like I will have all that much trouble gaining acceptance to haverford ed, but if I drop to regular and they see that I lost interest in the school, won't that really work against me? Then there is Swarthmore, it's almost a crapshoot, even for ED 2. Additionally, i got 2 B's last quarter and I feel it may hurt my chances significantly.

Thank you all for replying, this has been such an ordeal for me and i appreciate the support.

By Braves1 (Braves1) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Hey, I actually had an identical problem. I sent in Part I of my ED application to UPenn, but soon realized that I wanted to go to JHU much more. I had applied early to UPenn mostly because of pressure from my dad to apply early somewhere. I started freaking out, but I sent an e-mail to the UPenn admissions office asking if I could change my application to regular decision. They responded the next day saying that all I had to do was send them a signed statement saying I wanted my application changed from ED to RD. They were very polite and helpful about it. I sent out that statement a day later, and after a week, I received a letter saying that my application had been changed to RD. I suggest just calling the admissions office and asking what you should do. Chances are, they will let you change to regular decision without any problems.

By Metz (Metz) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

A few things:
1. Just say you rather have more time to think about it. You are still very much interested in Haverford but you'd feel more comfortable applying RD.
2. You're are being ridiculous and creating stress for yourself. You just said Haverford is not your top school but you're afraid switching to RD will hurt your chances. You can't have your cake and eat it to. Either your 100% sure you want to go, or you aren't. If you aren't, call them up and tell them.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Question: Am i being ridiculous in thinking that Haverford is a lesser school than Swarthmore?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

Ridiculous? No. Lost to perspective? Yes.

Swarthmore is certainly more selective. But selectivity doesn't address at all how good a fit you are with the school based on what's important to you.

Getting into a selective school that's not as good a fit as a slightly less selective school isn't anything that's going to make you happy, successful, etc.--and Haverford certainly isn't for slackers.

It's not as if you were comparing Swarthmore and Cal State Dominguez Hills.

By 05_01_04 (05_01_04) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

hey...I took classes at CSUDH! But good comparison nonetheless...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page