What are my chances for Transfer into Columbia?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: What are my chances for Transfer into Columbia?
By Drgalps (Drgalps) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 02:37 am: Edit

I'm currently a freshman at NYU. I applied to Columbia and was rejected, and in hindsight, I realize because I submitted a relatively weak essay, and didn't really put down all of my creds and such.

I'm in the NYU Scholars Program (which means I'm in the top of my class). 1470 SAT. High school GPA was actually above 4.0 (weighted, 3.9 or 4.0 unweighted) College GPA is perhaps 3.5 or higher at this point (I'm taking the hardest classes possible, my chem class is Physical Chem, which is supposed to be a junior year course), my recommendation may not be the best, as my chem professor (Columbia PhD) just handed it in, and at the moment, I'm doing just average in the class (I'm about to ace tomorrow's midterm, but's a bit late now...). Although I should add that my professor does like me, and thinks that I should easily be at the top of the class.

I've already introduced myself to both of my Columbia Admissions officers, and I think they've gotten the impression that I'm serious about Columbia. All of my SAT 2's are 710 and above. I do community service, and might start research within my school's chem department.

EC's: College: Parlimentary Debaters Union, College Bowl, Model UN
High School: President of Model Congress, President of Mock Trial Club, Treasurer of FBLA, member of NHS, marching band (grammy signature band), and a bunch of others.

I should also mention that my father went to the now defunct Columbia College of Pharmaceutical Sciences.

I know that the acceptance rate is 2%, is it even worth a shot for me to finish my application?

By Metz (Metz) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 03:35 am: Edit

It's definatly worth a shot. It's an extremly low acceptance rate but you probably have as good a shot as any.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page