Wow please help me trim my list!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Wow please help me trim my list!
By Confetti (Confetti) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Hispanic (Peruvian) / caucasian
female
NJ public school

SAT (highest composite): 670m 750v (1420)

SAT II
Literature = 670
Writing = 690
U.S. History = 680
-- set to retake each in dec.

ACT: 30 composite
-- set to retake in dec.

GPA (weighted): 4.511
(unweighted): unknown, probably about a 3.5 or 3.6

Class Rank: 40/689 (will be recalculated in january; probably will improve; i hope!)

_APs_
sophomore year:
U.S. History = 4
junior year:
U.S. Government = 3
Comparative Government = 4

Senior year schedule (most rigorous):
AP Art History
AP Calculus AB
Honors Economics (school does not offer AP)
gym / health (mandatory)
Honors International Studies
AP Computer Science (I studied independently to pass a test to gain entrance into the class)
Advanced Drama
AP English Literature

_ECs_
=Freshman year=
- French club
- FBLA (sacrificed lunch periods and free time to promote the club)
- acting class (out of school activity)
- badminton
- helped neighborhood kids with homework
//summer//
- acting class (more intense; Meisner)
- volunteer community service hours; six weeks, five days a week, eight hours each day, at a camp for children in the recreational center

=Sophomore year=
- French club
- French Honors Society
- FBLA (sacrificed lunch periods and free time to promote the club; competed in Word Processing II but only advanced to States; had to stop participation in club junior year bc of theater commitments)
- lead in one act festival at school (festival discontinued after soph year)
- badminton
//summer//
- acting class (more intense; Meisner and scene study)
- became represented by a successful and renowned manager with well-known clients

=Junior year=
- French club
- French Honors Society
- National Honors Society
- International Thespian Society (Vice President)
- badminton
- lead in the fall comedy
- co-created and President of the Drama Club
- AOL peer tutor in middle and high school history (3-6 hours per week, recruiter, set to write editorial columns for newsletter, and "big sibling" to new tutors)
- wrote a letter to my principal about the lack of humanity APs available to students and discrimination to students interested in the humanities; gained the whole support of the guidance office and multiple teachers; scheduled to meet with new principal in Dec. to see if I can convince him to add at least AP European History to the courses for the future classes.
//summer//
- took two classes (Wit&Humor and Law&Psychology) at the Harvard Secondary School Program; B+ in both courses; courses were taught by real Harvard professors and are offered during the school year.
- intern at the Harvard-Radcliffe American Repetory Theater's Experimental Loeb theater (run-crew and costumes)

=Senior year=
- French Honors Society
- National Honors Society
- International Thespian Society (Vice President)
- badminton
- requested and chosen as student director of the fall comedy
- help neighborhood kids with homework
- President of the Drama Club (which I created)
- AOL peer tutor in middle and high school history (3-6 hours per week, recruiter, set to write editorial columns for newsletter, and "big sibling" to new tutors)

//work experience//:
- babysitting since seventh grade for the same family. The hours vary.
- web site designer/maintainer (grades 8 to end of 11th) for local punk/rock bands. This job came to an end, because the last band broke up.

- teacher reccs should be awesome. i think my best bet would be from my English teacher and my Government/Economics teacher... but most people say to have one humanities/social science teacher write a letter and one math/science teacher write a letter. Any comments?
- including a third letter from my acting teacher of over four years.

_Essays_
(based on common app)
- one about how my father's alcoholism has affected me. the essay is not whiny. i take the negative situation and make it positive, because i show how his drinking problem has influenced me not to drink alcohol. i have received very good feedback on this essay.
- one about my creation of the drama club. i'm still editting it, so it hasn't been proofread by others yet.

-------------

I am most interested in schools in either an urban or suburban setting in New England or Washington DC. I'm looking for medium-sized school. My major is undecided, but it's going to be in the arts/humanities/social sciences. If I major in theater, I will need another major too (my parents don't want me to major in theater; I may minor in it if possible).

My list of schools is HUGE! Please help me trim my list-- or even add to it if I've overlooked any!
-Tufts, Wesleyan, Yale, Harvard, Brown, Connecticut College, Trinity Collge, NYU, Georgetown, Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern, Emerson, Brandeis, Columbia, McGill, Carnegie Mellon, University of Rochester, Amherst College, Rutgers

thank you! :)

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Well, first off, you're an hispanic with good grades. Welcome to every college in America. If you're looking solely for a drama/theatre major, NYU is a good bet. I'd also recommend Amherst, Boston College, brown, Wesleyan, tufts, and Brandeis- they all provide solid humanities/social science departments. If i might make a suggestion- if you know what you want to major in, apply to a small school. This is where you'll be able to meet most closely with your teachers are develop real relationships. Small classes and close teacher interaction are really the best thing you can have in college, you'll learn the most.

P.S. Don't get caught in the college name game. Pick a school because you love it, not because of it's name.

By Confetti (Confetti) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

whzup -- i am not 100% hispanic.
Unfortunately, I do not know what I am going to major in. :( Did you have any small colleges in mind?

Thank you for replying :)

By Sillygilly (Sillygilly) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

If you don't know what you're going to do, take Carnegie Mellon off the list. That's a very specialized artsy school. Go liberal arts.

By Confetti (Confetti) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

bump :)

more comments?

By Confetti (Confetti) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

bump

By Confetti (Confetti) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

bump

By May_1 (May_1) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Alright... first let's group these into reaches, matches, and safeties...

REACHES:
NYU, Columbia, Georgetown, Boston College, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Amherst, Tufts

MATCHES
University of Rochester, McGill, Boston University, Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Wesleyan

SAFETIES
Rutgers, Northeastern, Emerson, Trinity, Connecticut

It's easy to trim safeties. Which of them would really attend were you rejected from all of your matches and reaches?

Next, for your reaches. Which are you applying to for name only and which are you appyling to because you like them? For example, I dropped Cornell and am considering dropping Columbia because I don't really see myself at either place and realized that I was applying just because of the name. Moreover, I moved MIT much higher in my list because of the rave reviews I've been given from current students and from researchers I've worked with that did their undergrad, grad, or postgraduate work there.

Once you answer those 2 questions, I'm sure you'll come back with a much trimmer list, and then we can talk about your matches.

HTH

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page