Chances for cornell ED compSci

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Chances for cornell ED compSci
By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Im hoping to apply early-decision to cornell engineering school for computer science. right now im a junior at an extremely good public high school which does not rank, thankfully. heres some of my stats:

SAT I: havent taken it yet, but i have taken the actual test through private learning centers. figure 1480-1510, perfect or near perfect in math, slightly lower in verbal.

SAT II: i realy can't speculate. will take math, writing, physics. I think ill do pretty well.

GPA: at the current rate, i will end my junior year with a 92.7-93.0% GPA unweighted (my school doesnt do 1-5 system). It started out around an 85 in eighth grade (many of my eighth grade classes counted for transcript) and has slowly gotten higher ever since.

AP: im really worried here, since AP European history was offered sophomore year, but i didnt take it. i didnt take honors english either. however, this year i am taking all the hardest regents courses, plus 3 AP's (american history, computer science, statistics). i expect to get 4-5's on each.

Senior year: since i'm applying early decision, im not even sure that first quarter results will be recieved by the college in time for it to matter. however, i do plan on taking 5 AP's and doing well at them :-). not sure if its enough to make a difference though.

Extra Curriculars by year:

9-10: Boy scouts. I am an eagle scout. however, after i did my eagle project and got the badge i became inactive with the troop, there didnt seem much left to do, so this can only count as a freshman/sophomore EC.

10-11+: Crew. Varsity from 11 on. This is rather intensive and involves a fair amount of travel for competitions (appx 10 hours/week without travel, 17+ hours/week with travel. seasons are:
sept-nov (fall)
Feb-April (Winter training, no travel)
May-June (Spring)
July (Summer training, no travel)

11+: Work in a doctor's office as a medical transcriptionist/record keeper. Appx 7 hours/week.

10: Current events club, 1hr/wk, unfortunately it disbanded.

9: Whitewater kayaking club, 2hrs/wk, unfortunately it disbanded (should i even bother including this?)

9-11 Sporadically: Ran my own business on ebay, on and off sporadically, but intensively over the summer between 9th and 10th, when i worked with it something like 25 hrs/wk. It was a pretty big deal for a 15 year old. I think this might be my essay topic. Made what would be considered alot of money for a 15 year old as well :-)

Legacy: My aunt went there. Even though cornell only asks for parents/grandparents, i think i will put her down anyways.

Well, there you have it. my main worries include my not taking the most challenging curriculum sophomore year, and my weak ECs and low amount of community service, excluding the eagle project. What does everyone think? How can i improve my chances, besides what i have already mentioned? Thank you for your time.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

i forgot one more EC:

10-11+: ski club 5 hours/week during the winter.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

a couple more things. i do have a free period this year, i know, big mistake. im making an appointment with my counselor to see what class i can fill it with for next semester.

also, i was considering studying an AP course independently then taking the test without taking the class. what are some of the easier APs that i could do this with?

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Stat. :b
But youre already taking it. That test was so easy.

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Stat. :b
But youre already taking it. That test was so easy.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 06:33 am: Edit

bump

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 08:56 am: Edit

You are looking good. Don't worry about the Ap European. And though your grades may not show up in time for ED/EA, the schools will want to see your courses for senior year and with the APs you are planning to take, your curriculum will be top grade. Work hard on your courses this year as your grade this year will be scrutinized. You look like you are ahead of the game.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

i hope so. ive recently talked to some people who applied to cornell engineering ED with stats very similiar or slightly better than mine who were rejected. but i guess some of it is the luck of the draw.

Took an SAT today out of my big book of 10. got a 1490, slightly higher in verbal for some reason (must be the curve).

i also have an appointment with my counsellor to schedule a course to fill up that free period next semester.

do colleges take improvement in grades into account? most of the B's that are dragging my GPA down are in my 8th grade (certain courses are counted) and freshman year.

Thank you for your time.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

bump.

i want more opinions.

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

An upward trend is a good thing.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 07:27 am: Edit

yeah, i should hope so :-)

i really didnt have getting good grades in order to get into college in mind when i was in eighth grade.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 01:27 pm: Edit

ttt

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page