Chances at Amherst

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Chances at Amherst
By Carlky (Carlky) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Amherst is by far my top and only choice for college, so I am extremeley hoping to get in.

From rural Minnesota
3.986/4.0 GPA, only bad grade was in band
ACT-29 SAT-1300
My school doesn't offer AP classes, but college credit classes. I am taking College English, College Biology, College Psychology, College American Government. Plus Physics, Caluculus, and Trigonometry.

EC's-
National Honor Society- President
Student Council Representative
Interact- Vice President
Swimming- Captain
Cross Country-2 time state participant, All-Conf.
Track & Field
Knowledge Bowl
Students Against Destructive Desicions (SADD)
Science Research- Currently conducting cancer research at a local university. Last Year- Worked in the Botany Department with a photosynthetic enzyme. Best Paper Award at Regionals, State Partic., Other Awards
Concert Band
Pep Band
Marching Band
School Musicals

Boys State
Rotary Youth Leadership Award

By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Your SAT is too weak for Amherst. Amherst is a college that really likes high SATs. Your ECs are typical of Amherst applicants, although your class rank and GPA is noteworthy. Just give it a shot...college admissions is somewhat of a mystery, and all kinds of people end up in great colleges. I'd say that you'll have a tough time at getting in, but you can never tell for sure. Hey, I'm a track/XC runner too! Good luck!

By Serdu (Serdu) on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

You have a decent shot! Essays are most important, start drafting! They will like the fact that you've challanged yourself with college classes. I'd re-take he SAT just once more, try to get a 1400, its right about average for them. Again in your case recs and essays will make or break you, so try hard to make the best of these.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page