I like "Ender's Game"!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: I like "Ender's Game"!!!
By Valentine on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:48 am: Edit

hey everyone! after discussing AA for the past week on this forum and then coming across someone who said their name was Demosthenes, I decided, heck, why not get a good conversation about Ender's Game going? After all, almost all of us "stuck up" kids have read, and probably enjoyed it. But yeah, it is kinda late to start a conversation, but feel free to post your thoughts or whatever, and me or someone else will post sometime in the near future. Beat the Buggers!!!

By EnderJK13 on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:50 am: Edit

heh.. my name is EnderJK13... I love the series. Ender's game is the best, speaker is pretty good, children of the mind and xenocide suck, enders shadow is good, and the others in the Bean series are all pretty good.

By noone on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:54 am: Edit

I didn;t like the 3 sequels to Ender's, but I loved the parallel series with bean.

By Bryan on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 01:01 am: Edit

I was hoping that they would make a movie. But when I read the script on Orson Scott's webpage, I thought it sucked. Has anyone else read it?

By demosthenes on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 09:52 am: Edit

I have read all of the series, all of the seven books, and I have yet to cross a book that can beat Ender's game. It is a book that is not only science fiction, but teaches you a lot. I have taken this book very seriously; it helps those in a similar situation(nobody is a genius like Ender) to keep going. It's awsome. Wow, it's nice to know that someone has read this awsome book for a change, in fact, the series.

By Valentine on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 04:11 pm: Edit

I have always wanted them to make a movie, but since they haven't, I have settled with Harry Potter. There are many similarities between the two, but Ender's Game is still the king.

So Orson Scott Card made a script? I wasn't aware of that.

By Bryan on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Yes, there are turning it into a movie. The script isn't on Scott's webpage anymore (www.hattrick.com) but trust me they removed the best parts from the script that I read. For example, Peter is no longer a character, so Ender is no longer a Third. Also the ending with Ender being remorseful of his killing of a whole race of aliens is no more. They end the movie at the victory. No political intrigue even. Well anyway, here is a link to some movie news http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/endersgame_update.html Check it out. They haven't started filming yet, not even finished the script. So there is still luck that the "hollywood ending victory" will be taken out for the real "book ending of remorse". Cross your fingers.

BC

By Me on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Ender's game is my favorite book. I had a horrible teacher when we read it so I didn't learn much about the symbolism or anything of the story. Was there any deep meaning to the book that I didn't get?

By Liz (Liz) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Cackle...I live in a city near Mr. Card's, got to see him in person at a book signing. He's a pretty cool guy, it was nice to get the writer's point of view on stuff. He said he wrote Ender's Game just to set up the other stuff. Speaker for the Dead. The movie is summer of 2005 at the earliest. Anyway, he says there's not symbolism. He says people email him all the time about the "meaning" behind the book, and he replies "it's a story about a boy and his life. There is not a hidden meaning". I always thought so too. It was kind of hard to find any deep stuff, if you know what I mean. Just a very interesting story.

By Katz on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 12:35 pm: Edit

When I first read the book in 8th grade, we analyzed it to death; we spent like 2 months on it, going over every line.

My teacher, who spoke to Card a few times, said that Card wrote the book to show how much the "gifted and talented" kids were capable of. It was a statement to adults that they shouldn't undermine children's ideas and thought's because these children our the future.

I have found that the people who love the book are mostly the "gifted and talented" people who can relate to the idea of battle school and the competition between the other kids to be first in everything. The people who were never really concerned with being top in their class or the president of every club enjoy the book, but it doesn't mean as much to them, because they can't relate to Ender.

Anyways, there is a little bit of nothing. But i have to get going, so I might post later.

By Dumbuket (Dumbuket) on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 02:11 pm: Edit

The books are ok, but not what I'd consider "great literature". Now Stanislaw Lem,... there's a funny guy. Solaris was mediocre, but The Cyberiad... that's great stuff.

By Liz (Liz) on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Anything by Heinlin or Herbert is more than sci-fi, it's genuine lit. Anything by R.A. Salvatore should be burned. Don't know anything about Stanislaw Lem.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page