Can I get into Berkeley?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Can I get into Berkeley?
By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Hi!
I'm wondering if you could evaluate my stats to see if I could get into Berkeley. :) If you could, I'd really appreciate it!!! My possible drawback is that I am a homeschooler. I am a white (could potentially claim Latino/Hispanic, but not sure if I should) FEMALE. Do you think that affects my chances? Thanks!!!

STATS:

SAT I: 1350 (700 M, 650 V), 1340 ( 640 M, 700 V)
SAT II: French 800, Chemistry, 750, awaiting Math IIC and Writing scores
GPA: 4.5

Senior schedule first semester:
Organic Chemistry (community college)
Multivariable/Vector Calculus (community college)
American Government
Economics
Shakespearean Literature

Senior schedule second semester:
Differential Equations (community college)
Linear Algebra (community college)
General Psychology (community college)
Astronomy (community college)
Engineering Physics: Mechanics (community college)
French 3B (community college) (hopefully)

My schedule at the college has included these classes: French 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A; Human Biology, Human Anatomy; Chemistry 30A, 2, 1A, 1B; English 1A, 1B; Calculus 1A, 1B

I have received A's in all my classes, except for a B in Calculus 1B w hich was taken over the summer during a very emotional time.

Work Experience:
Peer Tutor at college(French, Chemistry, Algebra) (will tutor math next semester)
Instructional Assistant to Chemistry Professor (grading papers)
Collaboration on French homestudy workbook with professor

EC:
piano, ~8 years, Guild Diploma competition this year
swimming, ~11 years (stopped for medical reasons :()
speech, 3 years
debate, 2 years (President of club)

Awards (have not had chance to compete :|):
4th place in Alliance Française contest at university level French
Most Outstanding Foreign Language Student of Santa Clara County, 2001: community college level (received in freshman year of high school)
National Speech and Debate tournament two-time semifinalist

Volunteer and Leadership: President of Speech and Debate Club, child care worker at local church, (most of my time spend volunteering or leading goes undocumented just because I enjoy helping others....should I write about this???)

Essays: My English teacher raves about my writing skills and nearly entered my essay in the College's Best contest, but that didn't happen this year. I think I will be able to write a pretty good essay. :)

Sorry, this is very long. Could you maybe be kind enough to give me an idea, though? To let me know what I'm up against? Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!

By Muslimah_Angel (Muslimah_Angel) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Your stats are fine. If you can truthfully claim Hispanic heritage, then you should. Being a homeschooler isn't at all a drawback, it'll show Cal Berkeley that you have initiative, etc. The big thing with Cal is the 3 essays you have to write...they can make or break you with Berkeley, because they read every single one. Also, are you CA resident? If so, you're looking good. Any way you look, you're a strong candidate. Whatever you do, DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE ADMISSIONS ESSAYS!!! They are hugely weighted in Berkeley's process..good luck

By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

I am a California resident. I guess I should mention that part now, huh. lol :-D

It's dubious whether I can claim Hispanic heritage or not. I know it beyond a shadow of a doubt, but to prove it I'd have to do a ton of blood tests, etc. It's quite a unique situation, so that's why I'm not sure I'll go through with that. I look very white even though I definitely have Hispanic heritage. Oh well....

As for the essays, I have enlisted the help of my college English professor. I am trying my best to not underestimate them. :-) Especially since they play such an integral part there.

Thanks!!! Anyone else?

By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Callofthewind (Callofthewind) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Im surprised that you didn't get higher scores on the math portion of the SAT if you're taking multivariable as a senior. Hopefully you can balance it out with an 800 on 2c.

By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

thanks! i'm surprised, too....oh well....i hope i do get a good score on math iic. i just don't test well on standardized tests (seems i always get sick :() , oh well......anyone else? thanks!!!

By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

bump

By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Oh! I will be competing in the William Lowell Putnam mathematics competition! Do you think this looks good to UC Berkeley or not? Usually they have some of the top rankings there. There was this other high school kid at my college who took it and did really well. (he's a genius, though, and I'm not. but it's still the same test) Now he's at Berkeley, taking upper-level courses in mathematics. Thanks!!!!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

oh really? Many people tell me that UC's hardly care about their essays.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

1) SAT II's are excellent, remember they count 2X in the admissions game.
2) Essays ARE very important, do well!
3) DO NOT claim Hispanic status, it won't impress UC that your "trying" to claim it. Besides, it is their policy NOT to use AA status. Its not worth the risk.
4) Do write about passion for French, which btw I share with you. Je l'adore aussi!
3) That competition does look good to Cal, they'll love it. But remember you only have so much space to explain your EC's and awards, so choose carefully.
4) GPA is great !

Because your are a california resident, I would never say you were guaranteed ( As I have seen VERY STRANGE admissions decisions, but I would say your chances are EXCELLENT, almost impossible you won't be admitted.

Did you make ELC?

By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 02:00 am: Edit

Thanks, Serdu. That's very helpful and quite encouraging. :-) Maybe my brain isn't functioning quite right at the moment. What does ELC stand for? Not even sure if I know what that is. :-| How sad...
Thanks a ton!!! Anyone else brave enough to rate my chances?

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

ELC= Eligibilty in the Local Context. If your high school participates, it means you are GUARANTEED a spot at a UC campus becuae ur top 4% at your school.

By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 02:40 am: Edit

Ah, thanks. No, unfortunately my high school does not partcipate. :-( I think I would qualify if it did, though. Oh well....thanks anyways. Did you make it in? I hope you did. :-) Good luck to you! And thanks a ton for your help!

By Melbel219 (Melbel219) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:00 am: Edit

it's really a toss up.. you're schooling looks fine.. the essays are extremely important..

Since Berkeley is part of the University of California system.. being hispanic and female alone won't do anything.. it really depends on how those aspects of your life come through on paper.

I know someone who used to be on the admissions board.. public schools, like any UC, have slightly different standards that private schools. good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page