Do I have a Shot? Columbia RD?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: Do I have a Shot? Columbia RD?
By Hitu (Hitu) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

do i have a shot?

im a high school junior...female...minority- indian sub-continent...!
i am taking all honors classes and have an un-weighted GPA of a 3.7 and a weighted GPA of abt a 4.0
i am currently volunteering at creative clay,inc. and was a volunteer are the schools ESOL department for a yr as a tutor.
extra curricular activities:
key club(11,12; vice-president2003-2004)
national honor society - Secretary
prom committee
linguistic: fluently speak hindi, sindhi, can read and write arabic, took 2 yrs of high school spanish
recipient for an award by the IOSC in 2001
plan to add more for next yr.

SAT: 1300
SAT II: Taking in December

other colleges i am considering are:
NYU
Cooper Union
Rutgers
Drexel
george washington
steven's inst. of technology
University of Miami

intended major: civil engineering

By Hitu (Hitu) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 04:01 pm: Edit

A female engineer is very attractive to many schools. Hard to tell you your chances because it is early. You really should not have even taken your SAT1s yet, and I question your taking your SAT2s in December. Are you being tutored for them? Most kids take their SAT2s immediately after they complete the course that prepares them for the test. So some take them early, say freshman or sophomore year, if they are taking World History or Biology that year. They would then take the exam in May or June of that year. I suggest you talk to your school college counselor about the wisdom of taking the subject SAT2s in December of Junior year instead of the end of the year unless you are some sort of special case--taking block courses, heavy tutoring, etc.
Also SATs are usually taken no earlier than January of Junior year because maturity can make a big difference in the score in addition to the extra schooling and possible prep courses. Your scores are kept on file and highly selective schools frown on seeing more than 3 tries on SAT1s so it behooves the applicant to take the test at optimum times. The PSAT in November would have been a good practice SAT1 for you and does not get sent to colleges. Do talk to your counselor about timing your tests.
For engineering student, the biggest deal on the app is the SAT1 math, the SAT2 math and science scores in addition to grades in advanced math and science courses. AP courses, particularly BC calculus is valued and the scores on those tests are taken into account.
Colleges look at the school you are attending to get an idea on the difficulty of your courses. They want to see AP courses, they want to see upper 5%or 10% in class rank depending on the type of school. Though ECs and essays are important, they tend to be less weighted in engineering schools that I know.
Indian is not an URM, unless you are the Native American Indian, so for all intents and purposes, you are not a minority.
You are ahead of the game as far as your list of schools go. You have a nice varied list. Just check about the timing of your tests--don't jump the gun on them because now that Score Choice for the SAT2 is abolished, all SAT2s show up on your SAT1 record. Of course things are going to be changing with the new SAT, and we don't know how things will be reported, but you don't want to look like you are test obsessed. Admissions officers really do not like to see that.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Jami, can you help me out too? My subject post is "rate my dismal chances at columbia/upenn"

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Jamimom, I find it strange that you question taking the SAT at the start of junior year. That is when I took it, and I was fortunate enough to score well (1520) and be done with it. For others it is a great diagnostic to help them get serious about prepping for a spring or senior fall retake. I have never heard of a college marking someone down for taking the SAT twice (except for Army/Navy, who average)

By Hertish (Hertish) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Jimjunior, read her post carefully.
Jamimom said that "highly selective schools frown on seeing more than 3 tries on SAT1s so it behooves the applicant to take the test at optimum times"

Not 2 twice, but more than 3 times..

By Hitu (Hitu) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

well...i am a senior in high school right now.
i have taken my SAT IIs once already, but didnot score as high as i had hoped to.
Yes, I am being tutord for Math Ic, Writing and Chemistry.

I slacked offf the last time i took the test, and my scores reflected it...i scored a 600 Math, 500 writing and chemistry.

I hope to score a 750-800 Math, 700 Writing, and abt a 700 chemistry.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:05 am: Edit

There are always exceptions, but most schools recommend that you take your SAT1s in the 2nd semester of your junior year rather than the first. The reason is that most kids take the PSAT in Nov of junior year and want to get the results, evaluate and get help in the areas where they are weak. To take the SAT before you take advantage of that actual test situation is taking a chance that you are doing so before you are ready and you have the results permanently on your record. You were fortunate to do well, but Hitu is more the rule. And though you can retake as many times as you like, schools publically have announced that they do not like to see kids taking it nore than 3 times.
All statements like that, however, can have exceptions. I have a son who took his SAT1s 4 times---for scholarship reasons. He really excelled that 4th time, so we sent in the scores; we did not have to since he took the 4th test in Jan of his senior year and all of his schools already had test scores for him. I don't think anyone held the 4th taking against him. But it is not recommended to start taking SAT1s early junior year and repeatedly take them 4, 5 6 times trying to get that score up. It makes the applicant look test obsessed (which is probably correct) and the highly selective schools don't want people like that in their student body. I know a young man who scored in high 1400s with a perfect 800 in the SAT1s when he was in middle school. He scored nearly perfect on the PSAT as a sophomore and I think he did take his SAT1 in the fall of his junior year, and I'm sure it didn't disadvantage him in the least. He was not taking any chances given his test taking record in this area. But most kids need a little extra time. I had seen studies where kids were paid to take the SAT1s after they were in college and the scores were much higher than their highschool efforts though they had not studied specifically for them for years. The maturity and enrichment factor really kicked in. And many kids do a lot of growing mentally as well as physically between junior and senior years. Congratulations Jimjunior on your high score and getting the danged thing out of the way early. It does really give you some breathing room not to have to worry about tests senior year when you are working on the apps and keeping the grades high. Most kids are not as fortunate as you.
And as I mentioned, before, Hitu, you have a good varied list of colleges. I am sure you will have some good choices at the end of this process. Are you considering retaking the SAT1? As an engineering prospect, the math part is particularly important. I would retake the SAT1 in Jan as my son did, keep the scores to myself if they are not an improvement, but send them if they are--particularly if you go up on the math. In fact, I would get a good math tutor over winter break for that purpose unless your SAT1 math score is already pretty high. Good luck on your tests!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page