COLGATE UNIVERSITY...can i get in?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: November 2003 Archive: COLGATE UNIVERSITY...can i get in?
By Lonelygal (Lonelygal) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 09:44 am: Edit

international student

Grade 9th-10th %:83%
Grade 11th-12th %:82%
TOEFL:277/300
SAT1:1290(retaking on December..expecting 1400+)
SAT2:Expecting(750+ maths2c,720+ physics,680+ writing)
High school class rank:top 1% of 254

Class President(9th-10th grade)

School Head Girl(10th grade)

Co-curricular Prefect(12th grade)

Captain of the team which won national Spelling Competition for 3 times

Many 2nd and 3rd place in Regional And National Table Tennis Tournaments

MANy Community Service

Gr8 essays and strong recommendations

Please rate my chances!!!!!

i'll be able to contribute only about 4500-5000$ towards my education as my country's per capita income is only 220$(Nepal), n i am quite well off...so can afford upto 4500-5000$ only........hoping for need based aid...

Can u suggest some good schools for me nnn my chances at Colgate and Lafayette(ED)?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 03:52 pm: Edit

I don't want to be discouraging but there are several things to consider.

-Admissions to Colgate is very competitive to begin with and Colgate is not 100% need blind.

-Competition for financial aid for international students at Colgate is very competitive. They clearly indicate that they give preference in financial aid to top international candidates.

What all of this means is if it comes down to choosing between two candidates with the same stats but one needs substantial financial aid and the other doesn't, they can and will give some preference to the non-need student or the student who has a smaller need.

You also need nearly a full ride to pay for Colgate's $35,000 a year costs.

Unfortunately, your current stats don't place you in the top of Colgate's pool of applicants. That doesn't mean you shouldn't apply, won't get in, or won't get aid from them, but it does mean that you should have a back up plan. There are other schools besides Colgate that are more open to giving financial aid to international students where your stats would make you a more likely candidate for admission --- I hope you have found some and are also applying to them. Good luck.

By Lonelygal (Lonelygal) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Thank you ...yes i am applying to other schools as well, but am having a hard time finding schools
(not as competitive as COlgate) that offer near full ride....can u suggest some ?

And yes...for my High School %, i am in the top 5% of my entire country;

and I am definitely...gonna get 1400+ on December 6th:
with that how do you rate my chances? COz i believe scores arent the only aspect the admission officers look at; the essays and teacher recommendations can make a difference i believe, which i believe are very strong on my part.

By Spyrey (Spyrey) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

I think you have good chances, but why would you want to go to Colgate? Colgate is so preppy, and MANY rich white kids go there. I myself was thinking about Colgate, but when I found out that the Colgate student body consisted mostly of Abercrombie & Fitch wearin', Jeep Grand Cherokee drivin'preps, I was immediately turned off.

By Lonelygal (Lonelygal) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:17 pm: Edit

ok...spyrey...u too international student(which country)????
well, i havent fully decided about colgate...just was planning to apply there as they are very generous in their financial aid to International students:

WIth the kinda stats i have can i get into Bates??Bowdoin(these schools do not require SAT1)

Or what about lafayette college(EArly Decision)?

any comments Spyrey?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Try these schools - all are good with financial aid for international students:
Beloit College - Wisc.
The College of Wooster - Ohio
University of Redlands - Calif.
Hendrix College- Arkansas
Lawrence University - Wisc.
Hartwick College - NY
Denison University - Ohio

Best of luck.

By Sillygilly (Sillygilly) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

I think you have an amazing chance at colgate. Nepal is EXTREMELY underrepresented because it is so poor and no one can afford to come to the US. I have a 'brother' from Nepal, and he did quite well with college. Recently he was accepted and now attends columbia graduate school. Good luck.
Gill

By Sidis (Sidis) on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

whoa! Per capita of 220 $ !!??

in Ecuador it's 1100 $

But I guess nobody comes from here to American colleges anyway... (with exceptions..)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page