Copycat Applicant

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Copycat Applicant
By upset on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:52 pm: Edit

There is another student at my school who seems to love applying to all of the schools I would love to go to (Dartmouth, Princeton, UPenn, Pomona, Carleton, etc.). This student does not have quite the academic record I have, but has just enough to concern me that she will take a spot. I know she has gotten all of her ideas from my ideas, and I'm kind of nervous. How do I tell her that she shouldn't be doing what she's doing?

By concerned on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:01 pm: Edit

upset, somebody on this board has actually been impersonating a friend of mine-- posting all of his stats, and pretending to be him.
but specify what you mean by "she has gotten all of her ideas from my ideas..." how does this show?
Do your resumes look identical like the impersonator's and my friend's?

By upset on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:15 am: Edit

No, I mean that she has never visited these schools, shown no interest until she heard where I was applying. She's applying solely because I am.

By concerned on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 01:50 pm: Edit

Do you know this girl personally?

By goodidea on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Maybe both of you can go to Dartmouth and make sweet love over and over in your dorm.

By hey on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Why would she copy the schools you want to go to anyway? I wouldn't worry about it too much-- she's just going to be one more competitor among the thousands of other applicants.

By anon on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Maybe it has to do with what kind of college your friend wants to go to, I know someone who is applying to all of the same schools as I am, but this is because we are both trying to get into a good undergrad Biz program in a large city. It's not like we are stalking or copying each other. It's just we want the same thing out of college.

By useatoothbrush on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 08:30 pm: Edit

I'm interested in knowing this too. I know adcoms keep track of how many students apply from each high school each year, acceptance rates, and current grades at the college to see if the high school prepared you well or not--so essentially you are being compared to the successes and failures of others before you who applied or enrolled at the college. I'm not sure if there are quotas or limits per high school, though. What if I apply next year to some school an unusually high amount of other students here do the same? Am I at risk for rejection if there are many other well-qualified applicants from my school and they want to limit the amount of people from each school accepted (I'm thinking mostly about the small selective LAC type schools, large uni's don't count for this)? (If this is true, I'm feeling like going around and badmouthing all the schools I love so some OCD academic 'ho who has not a shred of originality won't apply there.)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page